cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech News : Android Fake ID bug exposes smartphones and tablets

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Android Fake ID bug exposes smartphones and tablets.

"An Android flaw has been uncovered that lets malware insert malicious code into other apps, gain access to the user's credit card data and take control of the device's settings.

BlueBox Labs said it was particularly concerning as phone and tablet owners did not need to grant the malware special permissions for it to act."

My thoughts :

Thought I'd add this to the forum as a heads up.

Source : BBC News
Read more here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28544443
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally these security scare stories are just that. It's good to know when a vulnerability is found, but tech sites (and general news sites as well) really need to ensure they explain the issue(s) completely...

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree in most cases. slight_smile

However these info needs to be known in many cases.

Knowledge is power. wink
Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely, the more people know about these issues/bugs etc, the more likely they'll be fixed quickly (and hopefully in the process another bug won't be introduced! Shocked)

Message 13 of 14

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think the terms 'hack' and 'bug' get thrown about coloquially by the media. Firstly  'hacking' in information technology terms refers to the unauthorised access to data stored on an individuals or companies electronic device - not a quick fix and methodology to make your life easier.

A 'bug' refers to a software glitch which is either minor and affects the operation of the said software or it's exploitable so therefore makes it a security risk. Malware is not a bug, it's a serious crime when used by career criminals.

I wish these so-called tech media wouldn't simplify things to the extent that things get taken out of context. Just like that GCHQ bug where they monitor everyone's data. 

I'll get of my high-horse now. Smiley LOL

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 14 of 14