Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Three

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, and today I made the move. I haven't been an O2 customer for some time, but I've sort of been in a roundabout way, as I have been using Tesco Mobile which uses the O2 network. Anyway, I recently moved (nightmare, another story) and the area I'm now in is an O2 blackspot. My coverage has been sporadic at best, and I've really needed my phone lately, so I didn't have much choice but move to a new provider. Three's coverage is good here, and their other perks, like being able to use your phone abroad in lots of countries with no extra charges seemed attractive. I did find out though, that if you want to make local calls in the country you're visiting, you get charged for that. It's only good for using your allowance for calling back to the UK, so it's not entirely what it appears to be.

What I also found out today, was that the impending takeover of O2 by Three won't drastically affect users of either network. According to the guy who served me in the Three store today, Three and O2 will not share masts. Apparently it would put too much strain on both networks to do that.

I'm now anxiously waiting for my number to port to Three, which will happen some time tomorrow. I was hoping it would be quicker, but that's what I've been told, so I have to bite the bullet until the port takes place. I've had my number for more than 20 years, so you can understand my anxiety.Fingers crossed.Smiley Frustrated 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino hope it goes all OK for you 

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on Three and only switched to O2 after moving as the signal wasn't too great indoors (and they gave me a good deal). To be honest I was very impressed with 3 and for one can't wait for the merger of o2 and three so we can benefit from their fast network.

Message 3 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As I said in my first post, from what I was told today by the salesperson in the Three store, I don't thiink O2 customers will benefit from Three's network. There are no plans to share masts.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

As I said in my first post, from what I was told today by the salesperson in the Three store, I don't thiink O2 customers will benefit from Three's network. There are no plans to share masts.

The deal hasn't even been approved by the regulators yet so I suspect what a sales person in a Three store thinks caries very little weight. You only have to look at the 3 and O2 merger in Ireland to see that they did indeed merge the networks.

Message 5 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't see any reason why the regulators won't approve it, particularly in light of the BT takeover of EE. If they stopped one they would have to stop both, and I doubt that will happen. The merger of O2 IE and Three was small potatoes compared with O2 UK and Three. I was only passing on information I was told today. No need to shoot the messenger. We will all have to wait and see what happens.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not shooting the messinger at all - maybe the chap in the three store is right as there has been talk that o2 and 3 may retain their seperate identities - of course all this is talk until the take over gets going if it's approved. Personally I can't see it would make good economic sense to maintain and run two networks - costs must be lower merging the networks - but I am no expert - hopefully the regulators will move on this soon and we will all get a better idea of what's happening.

Message 7 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Let us know how it all goes @Bambino

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Good luck with the move @Bambino stay in touch with us here won't you. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 10