Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony mobile, the end?

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
When rumours get louder, there's generally some element down the line that has some truth.
The latest rumour doing the rounds is that Sony will close down the Xperia wing after releasing the Z4.
My personal take on the rumour is that I believe it could happen very easily. Sony are a broken shadow of what they once were, and can not afford to prop up failing divisions no longer. They did it with VAIO, just after releasing one of the best ultra books created, they shut up shop for the computing wing.
With Xperia phones not seeing the sales they deserve, or getting the recognition they deserve either, a very real axe is hanging over Xperia.

More info:
http://beta.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/following-vaio-sony-s-phone-an...
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Real shame I've just upgraded to z3 compact and i am very impressed with it
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had quite a few Sony handsets over the years and I've always been impressed so I'll be sorry to see them go if the rumours are true.  One of my all time favourite phones was the Sony Ericsson W800i.

I have mixed opinions about Sony as a brand.  Over the years I've had a Sony eReader (prefer the Kindle for ease of use although the Sony looks better), Vaio laptop (can't stand it!), TV (love it, the best we've had), Walkman (cassette and MP3, both really good).

Message 12 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
First on the 2015 chopping block, Music unlimited.
Cannot see how it's cheaper to run through spotify when Sony have their own music label?

Important News about Music Unlimited
From March 29, you will no longer be able to use Music Unlimited. However, we will soon be launching an exciting new music experience. If you have an active Music Unlimited subscription at the end of February 2015, you will be able to continue listening until the end of March, and you will not be charged during the month of March. Music Unlimited subscriptions will automatically expire on March 29 and will not renew again.

Check www.playstationmusic.com/spotify for more information regarding our exciting new music experience.
Message 13 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122844 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
First on the 2015 chopping block, Music unlimited.
Cannot see how it's cheaper to run through spotify when Sony have their own music label?

Important News about Music Unlimited
From March 29, you will no longer be able to use Music Unlimited. However, we will soon be launching an exciting new music experience. If you have an active Music Unlimited subscription at the end of February 2015, you will be able to continue listening until the end of March, and you will not be charged during the month of March. Music Unlimited subscriptions will automatically expire on March 29 and will not renew again.

Check www.playstationmusic.com/spotify for more information regarding our exciting new music experience.

Sad news @viridis ....winding down it seems?...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
God knows what's going on at Sony, at lot of cost reduction at the least.
Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122844 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

My youngest always loved Sony phones. Until I gave him my S3 he had never used another make...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

where have Sony gone wrong?

in electric/electronic equipment they were considered one of if not the best at one time - I'm thinking tv's - I've always had a Nokia phone, but the 1st piece of personal tech stuff I had, & still have, is a Sony Walkman, it was gifted to me by my then husband when he came home from Sharjah UAE = lots of far east tech stuff out there even then about 27 years ago, bye-the-bye I had a combination microwave cooker out there, which I considered revolutionary att 

Message 17 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

where have Sony gone wrong?

In a word, MiniDisc 

Message 18 of 18