Did you mean: 

So bored you sue!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Frederic Desnard is suing his former employers for £300,000 for being "killed professionally through boredom"! He claims that the monotony and unchanging routine of the job left him feeling depressed. There may be some validity to his claims as work place boredom can be a cause of stress which is known to be bad for your health but I'm not sure if being bored entitles you to that sort of cash. 

Full story here

Luckily for me working in online communities there is never a dull moment wink But I've had my share of boring jobs over the years. The worst one was "microfilm photographer" which sounds cool on paper but all in involved was spending 8 hours a day moving documents onto a plate and pushing a button to take an image. 

Whats the most boring job you've ever had and why was is so mind numbing? 

blog-bored.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Once I got into nurse training I was never bored. Before that as a cadet for 3 years it was tedious in the extreme. I had visions of being able to give hands on care to patients.....I never saw an actual patient for 3 years!! We had to attend school 5 half days a week....not nursing subjects but normal school topics. The other 5 half days were spent 'learning about hospital work'. My first rotation was to the post room. This was in the basement of the hospital and I spent my time sorting mail for every ward and dept. The highlight of the afternoon was delivering this mail to the relevant depts. I never went into the actual dept just plonked the post in their mail boxes outside. So, for someone who went into this profession having visions of being the next Florence Nightingale......it was a real eye opener....Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I once had a job selling doors, door to door.  Then I did door-step sales... lately though I've been selling sand to people in saharan Africa...

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 12 of 26

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I used to do night shift security. All i did was walk round a set route every hour. At times i wanted someone to try and break in...
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 13 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

After I deemed myself too old to be crawling under cars I worked for 12 months at Warburtons bakery taking bread off a conveyer belt. 18 loaves to a tray and 18 trays to a trolley which was then taken to be loaded onto vans. Boredom only broken when there was a jam, wax paper to be changed or a blade broken in the slicing machine. Do that on 12 hour nights and you know what boredom is!

Sometimes I was lucky and actually got to load the vans and see the drivers at 5 am.  But....being a qualified motor mechanic, I was often taken off the machines to service supervisors cars or start the odd van in the morning.  12 months was all I could stand!

They really don't do jobs like this any more do they @jonsie!? 12 hour nights! 

I once worked in telesales for a spell and couldn't exude passion about the product I was selling. They then asked me politely to leave , which I was very ok with grin

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 14 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Actually 12 hour nightshifts are very much the norm in nursing homes and some hospitals @Toby

Also my lad was offered a warehouse job recently starting 8pm to 8am. He declined and accepted another job instead...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Actually 12 hour nightshifts are very much the norm in nursing homes and some hospitals @Toby

Also my lad was offered a warehouse job recently starting 8pm to 8am. He declined and accepted another job instead...

My family has some experience in that regard @Cleoriff; My mu was a paramedic for 10 years. I dont think she enjoyed the shift patterns! 4 on, 4 off I believe, but then you'd have to shift from night to day. Similar for you?

Get involved:

Message 16 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

My family has some experience in that regard @Cleoriff; My mu was a paramedic for 10 years. I dont think she enjoyed the shift patterns! 4 on, 4 off I believe, but then you'd have to shift from night to day. Similar for you?

Not exactly @Toby. During training and qualifying as staff nurse we worked any 5 days (earlies or lates). Then we worked a night shift rotation for 3 months every year for 3 years. Once qualified you did have a choice of days or nights. Though the day shifts were early or late within a weeks rota. If you chose nights you only did 4 nights BUT they could be any 4 in a week and that was a nightmare.

Once I moved to ward sister I worked days (again early or late) Once I went into management it became boring as I worked normal 8-5pm with the weekends off. I didn't like that. I had got used to a shift system and loved having days off in the week...when the rest of the world was busy at work

God... just read the above and it sounds like a dissertation. Apologies for that....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

God... just read the above and it sounds like a dissertation. Apologies for that....LOL

You should write a  blog on your experiences @Cleoriff wink

Get involved:

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I always like reading your posts about your nursing experience @Cleoriff & your health posts

My most boring job: packing catalogues for Kays in Leeds

As someone who has mostly worked in offices ... I enjoyed filing ... yes I did ... I saw it as a service I could do so that others could find stuff ... nowadays it would be seen as good for getting up from a seated to a standing position

Message 19 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

You should write a  blog on your experiences @Cleoriff wink

@Toby The things that happened during my nursing career would equate to the length of War and Peace...or longer.

Add to that some... of the funnier stories would shock people and you would have to remove them. ...

I will mention one. Working in A/E we had a guy admitted who was in a car accident and went through the windscreen. Cut and bleeding and semi conscious. We spent 30 minutes removing glass from his poor battered body and chucking it in the sharps box. His wife arrived and asked if we had found his briefcase.

We had ...it was open. Apparently he was a diamond merchant. Just guess what we had been throwing in the bin? ....*Coughs*....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 26