Did you mean: 

So bored you sue!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Frederic Desnard is suing his former employers for £300,000 for being "killed professionally through boredom"! He claims that the monotony and unchanging routine of the job left him feeling depressed. There may be some validity to his claims as work place boredom can be a cause of stress which is known to be bad for your health but I'm not sure if being bored entitles you to that sort of cash. 

Full story here

Luckily for me working in online communities there is never a dull moment wink But I've had my share of boring jobs over the years. The worst one was "microfilm photographer" which sounds cool on paper but all in involved was spending 8 hours a day moving documents onto a plate and pushing a button to take an image. 

Whats the most boring job you've ever had and why was is so mind numbing? 

blog-bored.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

After I deemed myself too old to be crawling under cars I worked for 12 months at Warburtons bakery taking bread off a conveyer belt. 18 loaves to a tray and 18 trays to a trolley which was then taken to be loaded onto vans. Boredom only broken when there was a jam, wax paper to be changed or a blade broken in the slicing machine. Do that on 12 hour nights and you know what boredom is!

Sometimes I was lucky and actually got to load the vans and see the drivers at 5 am.  But....being a qualified motor mechanic, I was often taken off the machines to service supervisors cars or start the odd van in the morning.  12 months was all I could stand!

Message 2 of 26

MI5
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As part of my apprenticeship at Jaguar many,many years ago, I was responsible for fitting the left hand rear wheel and exhaust pipe trim on every car that crawled past my station on the production line.
It was so slow you could sleep in between jobs.
We only used to build around 10 cars an hour back then.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 it's no wonder they brought in robots Bang

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 26

MI5
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Robert was no more impressed than I was wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

the worst job i ever had was producing capital letters on a keyboard.........it was shift work!!

Message 6 of 26

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
LOL
@Anonymous wrote:

the worst job i ever had was producing capital letters on a keyboard.........it was shift work!!

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had a job as a trapeze artist......until i was let go!!

Message 8 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for sharing guys. It definitely seems that jobs with endless repetition are the worst when it comes to boredom. At the microfilm place we we discouraged from even talking. It was mind numbing. Perhaps I should have sued! Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

After I deemed myself too old to be crawling under cars I worked for 12 months at Warburtons bakery taking bread off a conveyer belt. 18 loaves to a tray and 18 trays to a trolley which was then taken to be loaded onto vans. Boredom only broken when there was a jam, wax paper to be changed or a blade broken in the slicing machine. Do that on 12 hour nights and you know what boredom is!

Sometimes I was lucky and actually got to load the vans and see the drivers at 5 am.  But....being a qualified motor mechanic, I was often taken off the machines to service supervisors cars or start the odd van in the morning.  12 months was all I could stand!

And I thought you did the odd shift ad Dumers Lane call centre...

Message 10 of 26