Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously...We need to know!

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Ok, hopefully as this is of important relevance it won't get deleted by administration or moderators who want to shy away from the subject. 

I notice that articles from other websites have been totally copied and pasted and a source link added as a footnote. 

I need to know what constitutes plagiarism and the legal implications  to members and admin should such threads be reported to the original authors or websites. 

We normally make comments in our own words when linking to something we find interesting rather than copy and paste the whole article and let members form their own opinion and respond with their own thoughts.

If I quote from an article I make it quite obvious by using quotation marks and italics. I don't find it acceptable to be posting as though I am the author. Everyone on here knows my grammar errors on occasions and knows that they are my own thought and words.

Please discuss as I for one would hate to breach the T&Cs of forum rules. Ultimately O2 are responsible and accountable for the content they allow on their community. 

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@PhoneDoc What you're not aware of is that this has been an ongoing issue for some time, and in the past there was flagrant and gross abuse of copy and paste. What we don't want to see is history repeating itself.

Sure, I can absolutelty appreciate that. In fact in my first post I said that there's nothing wrong with open debate. That I'm completely for.

But this thread was far from such a healthy discussion. It started off with grievances against post length and plagiarism, which were followed up with accusations against other members for their motives in contributing to this forum, followed by many posts attempting to establish the laws that article posters had broken, culminating in repeatidly challenging the moderators. 

Surely you could agree that a thread conducted in such a manner is:

• unconstructive and unhelpful in improving the general quality of the community,
  • off-putting (or potentially hurtful) to people who otherwise make a positive contribution to the community,
  • and lessens the experience of all those involved with the community, far more so than copy and pasting an article?

Dislike me for pointing out the hypocrisy if you want, but up until the point I entered many of you were happy to pass judgement on others. Just don't pretend like you're making the community a better place for doing it. 

Message 51 of 53

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
It's pretty clear who this thread is aimed at, like several other posts and threats in the past. I've not been on much these last few weeks because my brother lost his battle with cancer. It's abundantly clear I'm disliked over here but im not sure why. Some assume I'm here for the rewards and nothing else. To those with that opinion, away and wash your face, I work in a bank for goodness sake, a 10er a month is heehoe. As for my post count, haha, have you seen the pure dribble that's posted else where on this forum.

When I started posted regular I was hoping to get involved in try the tech etc. But it's clear there is a tight cleek here and anyone trying to push in must be dealt with. Well guess what, I've read some of the stuff posted here and let me tell you guys, you are not always right, and the amount of posts with, I morrow this, or that can only be considered pointless. Perhaps those are to increase post counts... Ah wait, that can't be,they posted here for 8 years.... No wonder very few members stick about for more than a few months.

Some "community"

😞

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 52 of 53

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi all,

I have closed this thread now so that we do not begin to start making remarks about specific members and everything becomes personal.

There are many members who have been here for many years and many strong views on how this community should be run, how content should be shared and how much 'fun' one is allowed to have on a community or in a specific thread. Remember, you are all part of a community, you are not running it. Your respective opinions are ones of many and its my job to ensure everyone feels welcome and that we can all get along as well as possible

There are some here who seem to believe they have the right to expose issues they see as wrong publicly and this is not the way to do it. Ask me via PM to clarification on things. If I give you the community team's view on something, that should be the end of it. If you do not like the way we do things, or the things we allow as a community team, please find another place to spend your time online as this community may not be for you.

I have heard from many newer members that this community can be un-welcoming if an opinion is different to the norm, or if a member is a little different in how they speak, write or approach an issue. This stops now please.

If you have an issue, let me know please and we can talk about it. If you disagree with our view on something, you can either accept it and move on or find another community to go to. We welcome everyone at all times. This is the most important thing for us. If its not the most important thing for you while being part of a community, please re-think if you want to be here. 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 53 of 53