Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung in talks to buy Blackberry

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Subject strongly denied by both parties, but we all know, there's no smoke without fire !!!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/samsung-s-reported-blackberry-buyout-could-br...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I suspect what would happen would be that Sammy would take all the best bits of BB, especially around security, and then ultimately BB would disappear as a brand sadly.

Would be great for Sammy though as Knox doesn't cut it.

Interesting to see if this does indeed develop further. Personally I have my doubts short term. I think Samsung would await further decline in BlackBerry fortunes and try to pick it up cheap.

Message 11 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
could they use BB as a release platform for tizen nicely out of harms way from android?
Message 12 of 16

MI5
  • 144203 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
could they use BB as a release platform fortizen nicely out of harms way from android?

Interesting theory but it would depend on the reasons for their interest in BB ?

They have produced the Samsung Chat already (visually a BB clone) which wasn't too successful, so I can only assume they want BB for the software?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous absolutely agree. Personally I think the brand would remain longer than that but yes at least 6 months.
Message 14 of 16

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

From a very novice point of view (mine), I think it would be a good move.

I think that Blackberry has been placed into a corner whilst letting other companies such as Apple and Samsung shine.  It is a good idea in marketing terms.

I look forward to a partnership and letting both of them collaborate and maybe produce a product that will make me sway from Apple. tongue

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And the thousands of Canadians who would lose their jobs in a Sammy takeover?

Can't see the Canadian Government allowing this one.
Message 16 of 16