Did you mean: 

Role model bonus for non-smoking teachers

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys,

A school in Switzerland has proposed offering a "good role model" bonus of 5 extra days holiday for non smoking teaching staff. "Staff at the Schillingsrain Schulheim institute near Basel, Switzerland, will receive five more days of annual leave than their smoker colleagues should the initiative go ahead."

The idea is to set a positive example to students at the school and reduce the number of sick days taken by staff and statistically smokers are more susceptible to colds, coughs and other more serious ailments linked to long term smoking. 

Full article here

What do you guys make of this? A good idea or more is the employer overstepping their boundaries? 

cigarette.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
well, smokers tend to take more unauthorised adhoc breaks, so yeah, seems fair.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 15

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Hmmm, (from linked article) “since smokers are statistically much more likely to fall ill from coughs and colds as well as more serious conditions” would that take into account the smokers have to go outside into the cold thus increasing their risk to ailments? 

Won't happen though as the smokers (quite rightly) will be claiming employment discrimination and then management will realise that giving everyone 5 days extra is actually quite expensive. 

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its in Switzerland, you can't claim discrimination they wouldn't understand...:smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Curr946 I think this is more aimed at setting a good example for the kiddies rather then curb cheeky fag breaks. 

@sheepdog That's a good point, I'm sure there would be a case for discrimination but I'm unsure how the Swiss employment laws work. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 5 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hope the parents send letters fining them for taking time off during important term times
Message 6 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Hope the parents send letters fining them for taking time off during important term times

Haha I suppose any extra days would be outside the normal school leave so they very well could! Smiley Very Happy

signature

Message 7 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Tbh, it opens up a lot of doors that lead to a lot of discrimination cases..
Plus, how can it set a better role model to kids.. Unless they spark up in class, the kids shouldn't be knowledgeable regarding teachers habits.
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think those who do smoke will be looking at any way to fight back by looking closely at Employment Law...Human Rights Law and seeing if they have grounds for discrimination..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Whatever next, extra holidays for people who don't drink or don't own a car in order to protect the environment? Oh you come to school on a bicycle...have another weeks holiday!

Message 10 of 15