Did you mean: 

Robotic building sites

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

This is a bit of a follow up on the drones and airplanes discussion last week however this article shows some of the more positive applications of drone technology (ie not flying them at planes!).

A US start up called Skycatch is using drones on site to monitor progress, deliveries and offer real time updates on construction. The technology is being deployed by Japanese firm to provide navigation data for automated bulldozers. 

You can read the full article here There's some interesting stuff about 3D printed building materials in there too. 

What are peoples thoughts on automation of building sites? Could it be dangerous and put people out of work or is it an inevitable outcome of advancing technology? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
SkyCatch sounds like Skynet. Seems to be terminator related
Message 2 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

You could be on to something there @Anonymous There doing the same thing as Sktnet too. Giving computers control over real world robots Smiley Indifferent

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment day comes 20 years later lol

Message 4 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 5 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's looking that way! All the sci fi stuff I used to see in movies as a kid is starting to become a reality. Hopefully our new robot overlords will be merciful Smiley Very Happy

signature

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'm going to miss out on so much when I'm gone but I have to say that I could have missed out on so much had I been born 30 years later. 

Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie I think every generation gets that feeling. So much changes in the world during a single life time its crazy if you stop to think how things were even 10 years ago! The speed of progress is accelerating as time passes too. 

signature

Message 8 of 8