Did you mean: 

Race For Life challenge - Cancer Research - 2014

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi all.

I am doing the Race For Life this year for the first time ever. 

I am doing this race for 2 reasons:

1) raise money for an amazing charity and to help raise awareness of the illness.

2) I have wanted to do this race for many years but I wasn't able to (I physically and medically couldn't).

I am young-ish and I had a hip replacement last year.  When I got out of hospital I was in so much pain that I thought i'd never walk again.

This years' race is a year since my operation and, although it will be a struggle, it is something that I want to push myself to achieve. 

If you know me then you'll know that a race isn't exactly something that you associate me with.  Some may say that 5k isn't a 'race' but a few months ago I couldn't even move 5 feet, so 5k is a lot for me.

I have not had a miracle and I am not in a marathon-runners shape, however I am determined to walk and finish this race, even if I have to crawl. 

If you know me, then you'll understand how important this is to me and how much of a challenge it will be - but it is a challenge that I am going to accept.

I am not doing this race for any individual, I am doing it for every cancer sufferer.  Every bit of money will help to progress the research into cancer and then maybe one day cancer will be as harmless as a common cold.

If you would like to help this amazing charity then please visit my fundraising page: www.justgiving.com/gemmadixon88

Alternatively, I have created a text code to allow people to text donations (money will be taken from the phone credit or added to the phone bill).  The text details are:

DIXO88 £1 to 70070    - this is to donate £1 - to donate a different amount please amend the £ in the text.

All donations would be gratefully accepted.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I had the same mind set a few months ago - I thought my health wouldn't allow me to do it - but I will make sure that I do it. It'll feel like a marathon to me but I will do it. One day you will do it Damien
Message 11 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Thank you Chiara!! slight_smile
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't ever see it happening Gemma but good luck for yours slight_smile
Message 13 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Never say never @Anonymous 

Mexican Wave

Message 14 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I've made a small donation Gem, good luck. I have a very dear friend in Christies at the moment.

Message 15 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Thank you very much @jonsie

Big or little - all donations are much appreciated!!
The countdown has begun - 80 days until the race.
Anyways, I hope all is well with you.
Again, thank you very much.
Message 16 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

We did an Easter raffle in work yesterday and that helped to raise some money for Cancer Research.

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far slight_smile

Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
A worthy charity which does a lot of good across the country. Go Team Pink
Message 18 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you @Anonymous  slight_smile