Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poverty: Then and Now

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Everyone has their opinion on the Daily Mail. I personally read it for the entertainment rather than the 'Breaking News.'  To them, breaking news is Kim Kardashian going to the shop. 

Today I found an article on their website and it really made me think about my situation.  Not so long ago, people were living in poverty and struggling to find food, and to stay alive.  Yet nowadays, people consider poverty to them not having the latest trainers or devices.  It really put things in perspective for me.

We should all be grateful that we have a home to live in.  Some people, even still nowadays, they live on the streets. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2776842/Shocking-photos-capture-real-squalor-Britain-s-slums...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Not so long ago, people were living in poverty and struggling to find food

Still are.....don't you have food banks near where you live ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 2 of 4

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Yes I do - but if you read what I wrote later on, it says that some people are still in poverty.

It is not about the people who are actually really poor.

My point is that some people claim to be poor just because they don't have the newest of things, yet not so long ago, they were poor because they had no food.

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
It can be a sad state of affairs and each individual perception of poverty is different.

As a child growing up we didn't have the newest things out but never perceived this as poverty.

I once saw a programme where a person put a tin of beans on the hostels radiator on a morning and by late afternoon they had sufficiently warmed up to enjoy.

I've been brought up to choose that if I haven't the disposable income in my pocket then to save and buy when I have. Unfortunately some want the fast route and choose to stretch themselves too far.

I knew one person who sent their child on a school trip to Alton Towers with school and used some of the mortgage money to fund said trip so her daughter didn't feel left out of the trip.

We have food banks near me and even though it's a sad state of affairs they do play an important role. I heard in the news that one of the parties said that if they come into office they will issue state funded cards that can only be used for life's necessities, instead of being used on luxuries. An interesting take on the situation but not one I'm sure on.
Message 4 of 4