Pluto visited by new Horizons probe.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

After 9 years since launch,

After travelling 5 billion miles 

The new Horizons satellite probe has reached pluto and is currently taking mass readings and photographs of the very distant micro planet.

Once considered one of the 9 planets of our solar system, they now teach children of only 8 with pluto dropped from the list in recent years.

On board the new Horizons probe, which is approximately the size of a piano, are the ashes of the very man that discovered pluto in the early 20th century.

How poetic.

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps I was wrong then.

I thought they had plans to probe Uranus maybe in the near future then?

No, you're kind of right, 

There have been many projects and trials but due to risk, as of yet there are no plans to probe uranus. 

It's mainly down to being too risky, it's moons form a belt and beyond the belt is the rings.

As well as an icy ring inside, uranus has a wide dusty outer ring too, the risk of an accident is too high.

The angle of entry to uranus would be near impossible to calculate and getting past the belt of moons and wide ring would add to this impossibility. 

I think it's kind of agreed with nasa scientists to just study Uranus from a far rather than try to probe it.

Message 21 of 69

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps I was wrong then.

I thought they had plans to probe Uranus maybe in the near future then?

No, you're kind of right, 

There have been many projects and trials but due to risk, as of yet there are no plans to probe uranus. 

It's mainly down to being too risky, it's moons form a belt and beyond the belt is the rings.

As well as an icy ring inside, uranus has a wide dusty outer ring too, the risk of an accident is too high.

The angle of entry to uranus would be near impossible to calculate and getting past the belt of moons and wide ring would add to this impossibility. 

I think it's kind of agreed with nasa scientists to just study Uranus from a far rather than try to probe it.

I'll be linking my doctor to this post on my next check up....LOLLOLHorrified

Message 22 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully the scientists at NASA will decide to crack the numbers at some point and prove the impossible possible.

Suppose it's all down to cost. To probe Uranus would be a costly exercise.
Message 23 of 69

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hopefully the scientists at NASA will decide to crack the numbers at some point and prove the impossible possible.

Suppose it's all down to cost. To probe Uranus would be a costly exercise.

Not from what I've heard wink

Message 24 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:

The new Horizons satellite probe has reached pluto and is currently taking mass readings and photographs of the very distant micro planet.

Once considered one of the 9 planets of our solar system, they now teach children of only 8 with pluto dropped from the list in recent years.

On board the new Horizons probe, which is approximately the size of a piano, are the ashes of the very man that discovered pluto in the early 20th century.

How poetic.

Why are there no stars in the background of this picture?

Message 25 of 69

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Why would there be,
The focus and metering would be on the brightest object, in this case the pluto surface. If the metering allowed stars to be visible there would just be an image of a white blob instead of the planets defined features.
Basically, the planet is too bright to allow background specks in the image.
Message 26 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@viridis wrote:

How poetic.

Why are there no stars in the background of this picture?

I can photshop John Terry in if you like?

Message 27 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't call John Terry a star.....maybe another 4 letter word!!

Not knowing anything about photography, I couldn't understand the lack of background so thanks for explaining.

Message 28 of 69

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If you take a picture of a light bulb lit up, everything around it will darken so more detail of the bulb will show.
Same kinda thing.
Message 29 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I've been doing some research on Uranus.

Uranus is supposed to be releasing more gas than solids so gets called a dwarf.

Uranus looks pretty solid from what I've seen and heard and from the picture you supplied.
Message 30 of 69