Did you mean: 

Playing vinyl records with the new 5 pound note

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The new plastic 5 pound note have been in circulation for a few weeks now and a cool little trick you can do with them has been discovered. If you place the corner on a vinyl record the 5 pound note with play the tune! This is demonstrated in the below video and works due to the note polymer construction which acts like the needle on a record player as well as amplifying the sound. 

According to this article you can also use your finger nail (eww :smileysad:) or a crisp packet to get a similar effect but make sure you get permission from the owner of the records before giving this a try! Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Most likely be the last tune that vinyl disc ever plays too !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 Haha yep I think it's best to try this on your least favourite record! Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My vinyl collection will remain in it's dust-free enviroment back in Blighty Grumpy

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you click on the YouTube link you will find that it isn't just the note. The description actually says that it's a combination of the note "with the aid of a contact microphone and small amplifier not shown on screen".

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Interesting!

What else can you do with these new notes I wonder? Apart from washing them with your laundry and they won't break (which is cool, as I have ruined some notes before with this method).

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo wrote:

Interesting!

What else can you do with these new notes I wonder? Apart from washing them with your laundry and they won't break (which is cool, as I have ruined some notes before with this method). 

Apparently, you can use them to scam people out of hundreds of pounds  Smiley Surprised

According to this report, "People get overly excited on platforms like Ebay and the prices are not justified".

Message 7 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Wow. I did hear also that some of these notes contain "interesting" serial numbers that people who are collectors would love to have.

Do you think you could do origami with these plastic ones? grin Apparently that has been quite popular with the older notes...

Message 8 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I wouldn't, I've had 2 rip after being folded and when they do rip it tears the whole width with very little tension
Message 9 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
I wouldn't, I've had 2 rip after being folded and when they do rip it tears the whole width with very little tension

The new ones or the old ones?

Message 10 of 10