Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parkinsons Disease: Protein test

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Early days but researchers at the University of Edinburgh have identified a test which could help diagnose Parkinsons disease earlier....and therefore offer treatment to stop the progression of this awful disease.

Using samples of spinal fluid from 38 patients, researchers looked for a protein molecule called alpha-synuclein

The molecule is found in healthy brains but it is only when the protein sticks together in lumps that it causes problems, making brain cells die or stopping them performing properly

Parkinsons.JPG

There is no cure for Parkinsons but early diagnosis and treatment will allow sufferers to lead a relatively normal life.

My father had this disease and it is life changing and debilitating. Diagnostic tests to identify it early are hugely promising ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37196619

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Fantastic news @Cleoriff. Especially since there hasn't been a test for the disease, making treatment difficult as the disease has already progressed rapidly before diagnosis. X

giphy-3
Message 2 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Great news, a lot of life hindering illnesses are getting real progress recently. like the discoveries in alzheimers, the early results are important to get decent quality of life
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I read this earlier and though results are promising there does need to be much further testing. Good news all the same.

Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I read this earlier and though results are promising there does need to be much further testing. Good news all the same.

I totally agree. It's a first (massive) step in my honest opinion. I just hope to god funding remains available for continued research. We are leading the world with many of our research projects...let's hope it continues.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5