cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Pupils begin 'tough' new national curriculum

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Pupils begin 'tough' new national curriculum.

"Five-year-olds will learn fractions and computer coding, while those in early secondary school will have to study at least two Shakespeare plays."

"Teachers' leaders say the timetable is unrealistic, but the Department for Education said its aim was to prepare children for "life in modern Britain"."

My thoughts :

I'm all for bringing knowledge and learning at school age, but computer coding for 5 year olds !

Source : BBC News.
Read more here : http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28987787

More here http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28984411
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I thought pupils studied that much Shakespeare at that age anyway?

I've always thought (even while in school) that more variety could be brought to education; Different types of intelligence to be encouraged, varied apprenticeships and work experience.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Computer coding is good knowledge to have in this day and age, however, I am unsure as to the day to day value of Shakespeare !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure how useful either of them will be. I can't imagine a large proportion of the UK's jobs requiring the employee to know how to code. I actually work in IT and I certainly don't!

Similarly I'd rather they taught kids basic english again rather than Shakespeare. Lets try and get the kids using dictionary words, basic grammar and full sentences again!

Message 4 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Lets try and get the kids using dictionary words, basic grammar and full sentences again!

You only have to look at some of the posts in this forum to see that that's going to be an uphill struggle. Smiley Frustrated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 42

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As I said in another thread, kids have lost the art of writing and spelling with almost everything done online. Punctuation is totally alien to many as demonstrated on the forum

Message 6 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It all smacks of teaching them to run before they can walk ......:smileysad:

Every child is an individual with different learning abilities. If you don't get the basics right they will never achieve a level of understanding of anything....

I suppose it will all look pretty good on Ofsted reports though. Additionally it would improve our ratings internationally.....(as a paper exercise)

Whether it is good for the children we are teaching, is a completely different matter.....

I shall now step down from my soapbox! Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As I said in another thread, kids have lost the art of writing and spelling with almost everything done online. Punctuation is totally alien to many as demonstrated on the forum

It isn't just kids, also as demonstrated on the forum. Not knowing the difference between 'their' or 'there' or 'they're' is either laziness or just downright ignorance. Just my little pet peeve. wink

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Agree @Bambino ....as I have just hastily scanned my post to see if I have made that error...:smileywink:

EDIT: No...all ok... phew...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 42

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions