cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Phone boxes turn green to charge mobiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline: Phone boxes turn green to charge mobiles.

Excerpt from the Link "Solarbox mobile phone charging station
The solarbox offers a solution to "charging anxiety"
Disused phone boxes in London are being put to a novel use - as solar-powered charging stations for mobile phones.
The first of six boxes was unveiled on Tottenham Court Road this week."

My thoughts ;

A novel idea and something that many would possibly utilise. We used to have a secure locker style stand in our local shopping mall where you placed your phone in a locker which had several types of charging cables inside and you placed a few pounds in the meter , locked up the locker door and could shop while your phone charged. The only issue I was worried over is someone soringing the door and making off with said phone. 😞

Source : BBC News.
Read more here : http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29455992
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually walked past the green phone boxes today without realising that they were now charging booths.

Is the idea that you stand in the box for 10 minutes with your phone?

I have also seen the shopping centre ones. And they are highly utilised with queues sometimes forming.

I gave up waiting for one and had to do without a mobile for a few hours (agony for me)

The ones in Westfield Shopping centres are free to use and no real advertising being pushed that i could see.

They give 30 minutes of charging in lockable boxes and since they are in shopping malls. Then there is adequate security present ( CCTV, security guards, large foot fall of passers by to deter any theft)

Message 2 of 2