cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Man jailed for filming Fast And Furious in cinema.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : Man jailed for filming Fast and furious in Cinema.

"A man has been jailed for 33 months after recording Fast And Furious 6 from the back of a cinema in Walsall.

A judge in Wolverhampton ruled that Philip Danks, 25, uploaded the movie, which was downloaded 700,000 times."

My thoughts :

I'm wondering if this will act as a true deterrent to stop people from doing this and to stop others from using their computers and cellphones to view them !  Thinking

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28896675

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems a bit harsh to be honest considering some of the lower sentences given out for worse crimes
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats alot
Message 3 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

At least they made a quick decision about it. I mean copyright is copyright; hasn't the last revelations from the last few months taught anybody anything. There is no such thing as privacy and hasn't been for a long time. If the authorities have enough reason, they can ask to see someone's internet records.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

700,000 downloads so at least a million people not going to the cinema to see it.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes still think the punishment is a bit harsh myself when people get a lot less for much more serious crimes
Message 6 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Well that's 70,000 (or whatever it was) potential film go-ers essentially seeing the film without paying. I agree, the punishment is harsh however the MPAA are actively trying to punish people for not watching their movies legally. Personally I wait until the film comes out on Digital Download as I don't think the extra speakers & 3d makes any difference at the end of the day.

And anyway you would have to pay me to watch that film.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 13

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Seems a bit harsh to be honest considering some of the lower sentences given out for worse crimes

I agree - much worse crimes are given shorter sentences.

Me personally I would never have one of those copies because it'd be poor picture and poor sound.  I remember seeing a cinema-recorded film years ago - whoever recorded it was clearly trying to hide the camera because the image was dark, all you could see was people starting up and walking past the camera every few minutes, and you heard munching and coughing.  No matter how cheap these are, or how early they are available (compared to the official DVD release date) I would never purchase one of these.

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

A good point @gemz4the1 lots of the copies are classed as 'cam' quality.

What seems even more alarming is that more and more are Screener Copies which are meant for shops to view who rent those films out ,or are for certain audiences !

Sometimes being Pro Active and looking at what it now costs to visit the Cinema could be overhauled by the Cinema's. Its nice some mobile phone companies provide a code to help reduce the ticket cost or provide discounts on 2nd tickets etc. 

For instance a typical 3D film costs approx just under £10 to view. Non 3D is approx £7-8.

Not to mention food, snacks and drinks if your so inclined. I must admit I've smuggled my own in on occasions.   slight_smile

Anyone filming while in a Cinema knows the risks and as they say if you can't do the time dont do the crime !

We all know how much this costs the industry.

Message 9 of 13

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Yes the cost of the cinema is a lot.

A few weeks ago when I took my nephews the cinema a few months ago to see Spiderman 2 (one of 8 and one is 14), it cost me only about £2 cheaper than the adult price for the older nephew.  It cost us (well me) almost £40 just for me and my 2 nephews, 3 pairs of 3D glasses, a large drink between us all and a hotdog for my nephews to share. 

When DVDs are released they are generally on sale for £10 (Spiderman 2 is out on 1st September - it is on Amazon pre-sale for £10).  I wouldn't mind just waiting for the DVD to be released so that it was cheaper because we can have our own snacks and not have to worry about annoying people coughing or knocking our chairs.  Not to mention you can stay in the comfort of your own home and be nice and warm.  However, my nephews, as nephews/young children do, they don't want to wait for the DVD to come out.

Message 10 of 13