cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Google and Apple to introduce default encryption

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : Google and Apple to introduce default encryption.

Excerpt from the Link "Google has announced that its next mobile operating system, Android L, will encrypt users' data by default.

The measure will make it more difficult for private information to be hacked or handed to law enforcement agencies.

On Thursday, Apple said that devices running its new iOS8 software would be encrypted by default, with even the company itself unable to gain access.

Both firms have offered encryption for some time, but many users were unaware of its existence or had not enabled it.

Earlier this week, Apple's boss Tim Cook posted an online message assuring users the company's philosophy was that a "great customer experience shouldn't come at the expense of your privacy".

Swipe
As well as announcing default encryption for all devices running the new iOS8 software, Mr Cook took a thinly veiled swipe at Google, saying that Apple would not use its customers' information to sell things to them."

My thoughts :

With the recent media coverage on security and personal data things like this are certainly a step in the right direction.

Source : BBC News.
Read more here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29276955
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Common sense prevails. Most users wouldn't know or understand all of this to be honest.

Good call from both Google and Apple.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I'm sure I read this somewhere earlier too.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've known about this ever since 2.1 however the payload in speed never made it a wise choice. Newer handsets where speed and processing is far more effecient it might not be a bad idea.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm sure I read this somewhere earlier too.....

Yes...I thought that...??Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Common sense prevails. Most users wouldn't know or understand all of this to be honest.

Good call from both Google and Apple.

Yes I agree Piperdog123

the more we talk about the subjects like these hopefully the more people will become more savvy. 

Message 7 of 7