cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News: Gmail usernames and passwords leaked

Anonymous
Not applicable

"A list of nearly five million Gmail usernames and passwords have reportedly been published on a Russian online forum, but many of those accounts on the list have already been suspended or have old passwords. Still, millions of account credentials are out there, potentially posing a significant security risk for many.

When contacted by Russian media sources, Google representatives said that this list was in fact comprised of accounts collected over the years via phishing and hacking methods. In addition to Russian Gmail users, the list also contains accounts used by English and Spanish speaking owners. Google said this list was not created by someone who had compromised the company's services. However, it's still a wise idea for any Gmail user to regularly change their password just to be on the safe side."

"Google is responding by saying that its servers would have blocked suspicious log-in attempts. Noting that only 2 percent of the password and username combos would work, Google says it has protected affected accounts.

"We found that less than 2% of the username and password combinations might have worked, and our automated anti-hijacking systems would have blocked many of those login attempts," the search giant said. "We've protected the affected accounts and have required those users to reset their passwords."

Google said that if it notices anything unusual with your account, it would block sign-in attempts from devices and locations that are unfamiliar."

Might be worthwhile changing passwords for your Gmail accounts again folks...just incase!

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/leak-millions-gmail-usernames-and-passwords-underscores-need-better-se... and http://www.androidcentral.com/google-responds-gmail-password-leak

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you didn't add them as friends on Facebook but they are in your friends list then it means someone has been in your facebook account and therefore must have cracked your 328 characters long password with random symbols!

Message 11 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Do you reckon? You never know, they could have been have using a steroid-enhanced hamster.

No Facebook gets hacked a lot and the messages are kind of like it's working of an older database; as some of the contacts I removed or otherwise lost a long time ago. If I had any e-mail examples I would show you anyway. Or perhaps they were working of data that Facebook shared amongst their networks.

It doesn't really matter now as I don't use that anymore.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 12 of 13

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Sorry for going off on one.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 13 of 13