cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Foxconn’s upcoming $2.6 billion plant rumored to produce iPhone sapphire screens

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : Foxconn’s upcoming $2.6 billion plant rumored to produce iPhone sapphire screens. 

Excerpt from the Link "Its deal with GT Advanced Technology — which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after failing to ramp up sapphire production in time for the iPhone 6 launch — has collapsed but Apple isn’t giving up on the precious gemstone entirely yet."

Many thoughts :

After lots of talk and rumour and not happening on the iPhone 6 models it will be interesting to see what happens on the next iphones.  Especially will Gorilla Glass 4 in the works. 

Source : idownloadblog 

Read more here Foxconn’s upcoming $2.6 billion plant rumored to produce iPhone sapphire screens

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

What's the point? You'll still have iDiots trying to break them and show their evidence on Youtube.

It's good that people are taking moves to protect equipment better. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I wish people would learn why sapphire glass will NEVER be good for phone displays.
Message 3 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm wondering if the reason they're getting the Sapphire plant stock is because the company needs to sell their stock. A while back I read, Sapphire Glass wouldn't be the best for every situation.  In a way, it could be Apple "being different (or innovative as they like to call it)". 

Gorilla Glass is good enough don't you think and can only get better. Any form of tempered and reinforced glass is got to be better. Another thing I learned the other night was, quite a lot of resistance to scratches and damage comes from the oleophobic coating due to the fact it acts as a barrier. 

I remember when the Ubuntu telephone was announced and Sapphire Glass was going to be used with it. Unfortunately the KIckstarter campaign never went as planned.

Message 4 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sapphire-vs-gorilla-glass/

Another Apple bias report however a bit more thorough. Apparently LG G2 and I dare say G3, G Pro 2 have Sapphire Glass over the lens on the back camera.

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sapphire's fine for lenses absolutely perfect.
Let's put it like this, bendgate would have been hilarious with sapphire.
Message 7 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Lol good point @viridis
Message 8 of 8