cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : B.T - BT warns it will increase phone bills by 6.5%

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline :BT warns it will increase phone bills by 6.5%

"BT has warned millions of customers it is increasing its prices by up to 6.5% from December this year. It will increase the line rental for direct debit customers by 6.25% to £16.99, and the rate for calling UK landlines by 6.44%. The set-up fee for landline calls, residential calls, to the speaking clock and call return charges will also increase for some or all customers. But BT said it had added "extra money-saving options" for poorer customers."

My thoughts :

Thought I'd give a heads up on this news. I still find B.T competitive for my isp needs.

Basic Packages remain untouched. 

Source : BBC NEWS.

Read more here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28902300

_72644130_bt.jpg

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have long considered it a rip off that i have to pay for a landline i don't use so i can have broadband.

Until Virgin start expanding again though then stuck with BT and there lies the major problem in all of this. No competition. BT own Openreach and their customer service has been described by my local MP as "legendary" (he wasn't being complimentary).
Message 11 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have cable running down my street so I'm pretty much stuck with BT ,but on balance the speeds and general service is good.
Message 12 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed BoB that BT are better than they were but prices are rising rapidly and i don't feel they are justified. Line rental £16.99 for something i don't use. If the mobile networks get themselves sorted with sufficient speed and capacity that could be a major incentive.

I.e. £42.99 full price for phone and bt infinity. If a mobile network offered unlimited data and a reliable speed and backhaul o2 could have all that money on to of my mobile contract if you get my point
Message 14 of 53

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

And here I am...not happy with the price increase..BUT I would never go back to Virgin again..

They have a horrendous practice of  going over your price plan without notice...the added charges they put on beggar belief. Also our speeds in this area were poor. Finally they are absolutely useless for use with Xbox

(In this area I stress)...

My son tried Sky and their signal kept dropping...and broadband cut out frequently...

I know its all down to the individual and what you use your broadband for...in our opinion BT wins hands down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have phone line broadband and tv with virgin and can't fault it really to be honest the speeds are off the scale I also have a bt landline which was installed quite recently I will be challenging this increase
Message 16 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

If it wasn't for the 'must have line' for a good broadband deal most people can happily get away without the need of a phone line. My line is redundant to be honest. Never use it for outgoing calls and only for the odd incoming spam call. It's time we had the option whether to 'voluntarily' have a landline.

@jonsie & others above ^^^^^..... my landline is for my Sky internet to my laptop ..... I have no handset as one particular button began to go wonky then packed up altogether & this particular button was the one number all my local area phone numbers began with so the old, broken stuff went in a black bag into the bin & hasn't been replaced ..... I don't miss it, but am quite ready to believe I may be paying more than I could be elsewhere eg 0800 numbers I am charged for, but I'm sticking to what I've got for eg the sake of expediency

Message 17 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd have no hesitation in dropping the landline either.

I'm now awaiting any following e mail or letter from BT when all this kicks in.
Message 18 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me once my 12 month advance deal is up in April i will move my phone line to Post Office and keep my broadband on infinity although i will argue the price rise out as i am in minimum term.
Message 19 of 53

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It just seems a shame that people are compelled to have a landlinewhether they want one or not in order to have cheaper broadband. I'm on virgin fibre so no need for a landline at all. My mobile is quite adequate for the number of calls I make these days and utilise Skype for speaking to family.

Message 20 of 53