cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline: Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Excerpt from the link :

"The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) says electronic devices such as mobile phones can be left switched on during flights.

EASA says that electronic devices do not pose a safety risk.

The announcement clears the way for airlines to permit the use of mobile phones, once they have conducted their own safety reviews.

Currently airline passengers have to switch devices to flight mode and make calls from the airport terminal."

"The agency said each airline would still have to go through an assessment process, ensuring aircraft systems are not affected by the signals from portable electronic devices before establishing their own rules for their operation.

As a result there could be a delay in implementing the new rules at some airlines.

It also says that airlines may opt for different policies on the use of mobile devices."

My thoughts :

I remember some chat about this a few months ago and now with this news it looks like the green light has been given. 

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I agree. These things have one of the most sensitive mics in.

I also find it funny as some can't sit or stand still while on a mobile phone call. Generally pacing up and down. slight_smile
Message 11 of 26

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Deep joy, phone calls when I'm trying to sleep on a night flight, I foresee much cabin rage!!!

Message 12 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

And none of them putting their phones on vibrate only, so there are different ringtones going off continuously all over the cabin. Crazy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Ear plugs are supplied on most long haul flights these days thankfully.....

Message 14 of 26

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

But how well will they work if it's the person sitting next to you whose phone is going off? I just think that the whole idea of allowing calls in-flight is a bad idea. Even worse will be all the text message signals if the phone isn't on vibrate only. slight_frown

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

And none of them putting their phones on vibrate only, so there are different ringtones going off continuously all over the cabin. Crazy

Which reminds me.....on the Virgin page there's nothing that I can see as regards any charges to receive calls and texts, presumably they're free so the chances are that phones will be ringing rather than calls being made?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 16 of 26

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

But how well will they work if it's the person sitting next to you whose phone is going off? I just think that the whole idea of allowing calls in-flight is a bad idea. Even worse will be all the text message signals if the phone isn't on vibrate only. slight_frown

A smack in the gob is worth a thousand words...

Totally agree though, we managed perfectly well without phones on flights and no doubt people will totally abuse it and anger other passengers!

Message 17 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Jonsie said

*a smack in the gob is worth a 1000 words*......

'Spit take' time...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree with Bambino, it will be annoying to say the least...No peace and quiet ...I really don't see the need, although I wouldn't mind having wifi available, that would be useful!! I could flying as we speak (type) and chatting away on the Community!!!

Message 19 of 26

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It's noisy enough as it is with cockpit and flight staff announcements, and meals and drinks going up and down the aisles, and babies crying. It certainly isn't necessary to add to the cacophony of noise from phone calls and texts messages in an enclosed plane cabin. WiFi to go online and to send emails, yes. Phones? Nyet!

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 26