cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline: Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Excerpt from the link :

"The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) says electronic devices such as mobile phones can be left switched on during flights.

EASA says that electronic devices do not pose a safety risk.

The announcement clears the way for airlines to permit the use of mobile phones, once they have conducted their own safety reviews.

Currently airline passengers have to switch devices to flight mode and make calls from the airport terminal."

"The agency said each airline would still have to go through an assessment process, ensuring aircraft systems are not affected by the signals from portable electronic devices before establishing their own rules for their operation.

As a result there could be a delay in implementing the new rules at some airlines.

It also says that airlines may opt for different policies on the use of mobile devices."

My thoughts :

I remember some chat about this a few months ago and now with this news it looks like the green light has been given. 

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I'm still a bit confused with this.

I don't see the urgency in using your mobile phone whilst you are flying.

It is impossible to tell if it will ever be completely safe to use it anyway.

I'd rather be safe that sorry so I can wait until I land to use my phone.

Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting @Anonymous I wonder what O2 signal strength will be like at 38000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean?

Gerry
Message 3 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It won't be O2 at 38,000 ft. @Anonymous If you want a bit of sticker shock, these are the current tariffs on, for example, Virgin in-flight costs at the moment: 

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=33034&TOPIC_ID=2065

I expect this will change over time as as all the airlines adopt the use of in-flight calls, and to confuse matters even more, this link contradicts the other I posted:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/the-virgin-experience/in-flight-connectivity/mobile-phones.html

And here's another related article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10630975/Which-airlines-allow-in-flight-mobile-use.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

In that case @Bambino ...my phone will remain off....and in my bag..LOL

Q: Are these rates covered by the EU roaming regulation caps?
A: No, these rates aren’t covered by these regulations.

Yes...I think we can see that! Smiley Mad

EDIT...these comments above are related to the first Virgin link

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

They're also not going to be able to introduce 'quiet cabins' like they have 'quiet cars' on trains, so you're bound to get a Dom Jolly on the flight shouting down the phone when the connection goes bad. Personally, I would like to see internet access so you can surf the web and send emails, but phone calls? No. I wouldn't want anyone listening in on my phone conversation, nor me theirs.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 26

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I agree @Bambino - I would rather have cheaper internet. 

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Bambino Thanks for those useful links. To be honest I don't know why I am worried as the likelihood of my needing to use a mobile phone in mid-air is virtually zero.
Gerry
Message 8 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

They're also not going to be able to introduce 'quiet cabins' like they have 'quiet cars' on trains, so you're bound to get a Dom Jolly on the flight shouting down the phone when the connection goes bad. Personally, I would like to see internet access so you can surf the web and send emails, but phone calls? No. I wouldn't want anyone listening in on my phone conversation, nor me theirs.

Oh I agree with this totally...an absolute hatred of mine when having to listen to folk shouting into their mobiles when I am quietly going about my business.....

Sometimes I think they are trying to prove to everyone what busy, exciting and dynamic lives they lead Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

The one annoyance is that most, if not all, people talk much louder on a mobile phone than when they use a landline phone.....why is that ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 26