cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline: Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights.

Excerpt from the link :

"The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) says electronic devices such as mobile phones can be left switched on during flights.

EASA says that electronic devices do not pose a safety risk.

The announcement clears the way for airlines to permit the use of mobile phones, once they have conducted their own safety reviews.

Currently airline passengers have to switch devices to flight mode and make calls from the airport terminal."

"The agency said each airline would still have to go through an assessment process, ensuring aircraft systems are not affected by the signals from portable electronic devices before establishing their own rules for their operation.

As a result there could be a delay in implementing the new rules at some airlines.

It also says that airlines may opt for different policies on the use of mobile devices."

My thoughts :

I remember some chat about this a few months ago and now with this news it looks like the green light has been given. 

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I couldn't agree more and we all know people are selfish with no consideration for others in these situations. It will be a sad day when this is introduced as a 'service' rather than the money making scheme it surely is.

Would love wifi though, but only at a reasonable cost.

Message 21 of 26

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Seems strange this, coming on top of clearing mobiles for use....Airlines ordered to replace cockpit displays because mobiles/device signals can cause the screens to go blank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29445385

Message 22 of 26

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking.
Could the Gentleman in seat 7C please turn off his mobile phone as I am trying to land this puppy and my screen has gone blank!!!!!"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 26

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Seems strange this, coming on top of clearing mobiles for use....Airlines ordered to replace cockpit displays because mobiles/device signals can cause the screens to go blank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29445385

As a frequent flyer.....and reading this...I say ...keep the mobiles off Crazy

Particulary imagining the scenario given by @MI5 ...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 26

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions