Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS: DNA Scheme to fight cancer and genetic diseases

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I can't tell you how excited I am at this brilliant medical news....

A new genetics project could help unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases.

Under the scheme, 11 Genomics Medicine Centres are being set up in English hospitals. They will open in February. They will gather DNA information to help devise targeted treatments for a wide range of diseases.

It is focussing on cancer and rare genetic diseases.

The aim is to look at the genetic code of 100,000 people within three years in order to develop new tests and drugs.

The NHS said it was aiming to be the most scientifically advanced healthcare system in the world.

15,000 families with rare diseases will take part in this project.

It's news like this that makes me wish I could have my time all over again...:smileywink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30558112

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing this. 

Im just watching the piece on BBC News. 

I tip my hat to these super intelligent committed people to combat this awful disease. 

Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The only word for this is revolutionary. 4 years ago there was talk about it and its implications. I doubt anyone thought it would be starting so soon......in 2 months time.

It isn't just for one disease (cancer) There are many many genetic diseases and disorders..They will all be looked genetically and hopefully treatments will become available to target all of them..

They should be able to prevent many genetic disorders also.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

With the advancement in technology and research i'm hoping for further medical breakthroughs in beating some of the awful diseases that have affected so many of our loved ones. 

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

With the advancement in technology and research i'm hoping for further medical breakthroughs in beating some of the awful diseases that have affected so many of our loved ones. 

I know I am biased, but this news was better than opening a Christmas present!

The list is endless @jonsie 

Think of how many people we know with Asthma, Genetic Heart conditions, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc etc etc

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The sheer amount of genetic data stored in our individual dna strands is astounding.
Being able to unlock and understand the weak individual links and replace them would be the holy grail of medicine.
Potential for this is beyond huge.
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
The whole issue of DNA is completely fascinating (though hard to understand it all). Just knowing research is being done in order to prevent cancer and many genetic diseases is a massive step forward.... slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Absolutely true. If they crack this (and I am sure they will) some diseases will become a thing of the past. Alternatively they can be targetted specifically and immediately with drug treatment

On later news today, a leader in Research, stated within 2-3 years we will be able to personalise drug treatment for the individual. As opposed to trial and error till they find the best one.....as often happens nowadays..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like it could be a great idea, as long as the promises for funding/resources actually materialise and then remain in place. I think if they can get it sussed, a whole host of problems could be sorted!
Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds like it could be a great idea, as long as the promises for funding/resources actually materialise and then remain in place. I think if they can get it sussed, a whole host of problems could be sorted!

I think the funding will come from drug companies Phill (most of it anyway)

With this type of research it usually does....

It will be the drug companies who will be at the forefront of developing new 'target medicines' to combat the

genetic disorders....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15