Did you mean: 

Missing Type NHS Blood Drive campaign

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

For the second year running an NHS blood and transplant campaign is attempting to tackle a shortage of blood donations by raising awareness of the issue. A number of organisations and businesses across the globe are supporting the the campaign by dropping the A, O and B from their company names. 

The amount of blood being donated has dropped globally between 2005 and 2015 by a 20%, and in the UK, new volunteers have dropped by 40% in the last 10 years. Donated blood is vitally important for hospitals to be able to undertake lifesaving work. “In England alone we need almost 200,000 new donors, especially from blood groups like O negative and A negative, younger and black and South Asian donors,” says NHS Blood and Transplant. 

You can find out how to give blood or get further information by visiting the NHS Blood and Transplant website

Blood drive .png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The drop in donors is very worrying...particularly with RH Negative blood types.

85% of the UK public has a Rh positive blood group. However....blood type O Rh negative can be given to anyone in an emergency ...before you know their actual blood type. It is often life saving.

I hope more people sign up to give blood as a result of this campaign

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff Yes I hadn't realised there had been such a dramatic drop in donors. Giving blood is something I've never done but I'm going to this year. Out of interest do you know if they tell you your blood type when you give blood? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Cleoriff Yes I hadn't realised there had been such a dramatic drop in donors. Giving blood is something I've never done but I'm going to this year. Out of interest do you know if they tell you your blood type when you give blood? 

Yes they do but they do test your blood first for any medical problems you may have and there is a questionnaire you need to fill in.

Message 4 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Good to know, thanks for the info @jonsie

I'll give you guys an update once I've gone through the process wink

signature

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

As @jonsie says...you are tested first. A very very rigid test now...after it was found people with the HIV virus were donating blood...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

To add to the above...when information about HIV was released to the public and one mode of transmission was via blood transfusion....The NHS destroyed most of its blood bank supplies until they were able to prove it was HIV free

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's unfortunate they had to destroy all those blood stocks but I suppose they had to be thorough to avoid accidentally exposing anyone. This campaign is getting global exposure so hopefully will inspire more people to donate. 

signature

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

The research for new blood borne viruses is ongoing. I fully expect people will be tested now to check they aren't carrying Zika before they can become donors

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9