Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kodi and Piracy

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I know this subect was touched on in a thread about a specific WiFi box but BBC  released a news item yesterday...

Many of us have these wifi boxes with Kodi installed. I have two... 1 in Spain and 1 upstairs....

A cheap convenient way for a lot of us.
I suppose it was only a matter of time before all the free streaming of channels and films was pounced on by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT)
They say...

"Tackling the use of Kodi and other set-top box software to stream pirated videos is now the top priority for rights-holders, a report says.

Some boxes or "TV sticks" support software add-ons that can stream subscription movies, sport and TV channels over the internet for free.

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) said about half of its current investigations concerned the devices.

It said boxes configured to receive premium content for free were illegal"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37508235

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Once they started streaming films, it's inevitable that fact will pounce on it.
Who knows how they'll tackle it tho
Message 2 of 15

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ouch.. Inevitable I guess. So it's the add ons really that make it illegal. Not looking good though x

giphy-3
Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Watch isp's being forced into blocking the sites.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It's getting the same way as torrents.
There will be ways round it (using VPNs) and as with anything like this as soon as a method is locked down a new way surfaces.
The biggest issue is the one of cost. My Virgin service has just been bumped £4/month without anything being changed. This is the 2nd time this year.
More annoyingly they have added "services" that don't work unless you have further subscriptions (Netflix) - for example, if you asked for a series link it only showed up when something was recorded. Now it shows any old episodes on Netflix too, but you can't watch them. What's the point in that?!?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant blame people for using these boxes.

Most people pay an extortionate amount of money a month to Sky or Virgin for terribly compressed blocky channels they claim are HD.

When providers broadcast native HD and 4K, i will happily pay for the service.......and don't even get me started on the licence fee Zipped

Message 6 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Virgin rang up earlier, offered me an upgrade to the movie channels for 17 extra a month.
17 extra, just for a few channels.
Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

To be honest I am still confused as to what we may lose. These are ANDROID boxes and I have downloaded stuff from the Playstore (including FilmOn ) which allows me access to UK TV channels whilst in Spain

There is a separate section for Kodi in the box layout. I never access that at all.

Mobdro was installed directly from the Mobdro website after I allowed 'Unknown Sources' in the wifi box settings.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
"Kodi" is just the generic name for the boxes.
Streaming premium content services without paying is what they are talking about, regardless of which app you use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ok...then I will argue this. I have Mobdro on my Windows PC. Also on my Tablet and my phone. I did NOT use Kodi to get these downloaded. Where do I stand with that?. Does anyone know for sure... or are we just making an 'educated' guess?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 15