Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knee Defenders?

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Knee Defenders made big news at weekend when a spat between two passengers caused a flight to be diverted.

For those not in the know, these devices are available to purchase to stop the passenger in front of you reclining their seat which does inhibit the use of a laptop and on longer flights interferes with the viewing angle of the inseat entertainment screen.

What do you think? Should someone have the right to stop you reclining your seat? It can be annoying but whilst these devices aren't illegal some airlines do ban their use.

Personally as a frequent long distance traveller, if I pay for a seat that is supposed to recline, then I want the freedom of choice to recline my seat to sleep or for comfort.

It's a serious subject but it did make me chuckle how this was escalated beyond reason.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Solution: airplanes would have a separate section for all those who want to recline their seats, and another section for those who don't! 

I think they already do @Marjo Its called flying First Class with British Airways LOL

Something I can't afford to do...I would prefer to fly abroad 8 times a year flying economy...than once in a lifetime with BA...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 28

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I usually fly Emirates to Thailand and the much bigger planes have adequate legroom and comfortable seating so reclining isn't essential to the comfort of the passenger. Having said that, I would hate to fly 14 hours on Easyjet in their cramped small planes. If someone reclines their seat on those planes you feel really cramped ans claustrophobic.

Message 22 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Transatlantic I have flown Virgin, B.A and once unfortunately ...Thomson Airlines ....

However, as I had just won 4 free tickets to Florida.... courtesy of the Hoover advertising debacle..I wasn't going to complain about the plane they used.... 

It was a long hard job getting those free tickets and if honest, until we took off at Gatwick I was convinced that Hoover would 'pull the plug' on the trip as a desperate last resort Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 28

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

We had the same problem with the Daily Express cruise offer...got there eventually though!

That too was Thomson airways and a very small plane but luckily only 2 hours flight.

Message 24 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
I'm in the non recline camp 

With you 100%

non reclining for me all the way in economy class ..... those who travel business/1st class can do their own thing as far as I'm concerned slight_smile :womanvery-happy: Cat Very Happy

Message 25 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie  It took nine months of perseverance...registered letters...fake cc's sent to solicitors, getting Watchdog involved,...finding the actual address of the company dealing with it (in Warwick funnily enough) ...Playing them at their own game basically Evil

One of my finest achievements at the time...  my colleagues at the hospital apparently ran a book on whether I would get them or not LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 28

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think they already do @Marjo Its called flying First Class with British Airways LOL

Something I can't afford to do...I would prefer to fly abroad 8 times a year flying economy...than once in a lifetime with BA...Bouncy

Fair enough. Cat Tongue

Another solution: You could see in the online booking system which seats are already booked by a person who wants to recline, so you can avoid booking the one behind it.

Message 27 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Good call...though today I am on a Ryanair flight to Spain and am in Row 2 so I think I am going to be ok Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 28