Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health News: Cost of Care

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

When I started my nursing career xxxx years ago there was a phrase taught to all new recruits joining the profession. *From the cradle to the grave*

It was used when the NHS was formed in 1948. It meant that governments then and in the future would provide care to newborns until they reached the end of their life

So today this news was released by the BBC, which gives a completely different outlook for the elderly in our communities. I know many younger people never want to think this far ahead.....but if honest this report makes for very frightening reading...and if we continue living longer everyone should stop and give some thought to the report

Care spending for the elderly has been reduced by a fifth over the last 10 years. Which means we should all be looking at provision for our own care and not just planning to get a good pension

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31015807

As a result of this report, the BBC has launched its own Cost Of Care project and has provided a calculator

so you can work out now........how much you will need to provide for your own care needs (if you or a family member needed it today)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30990913

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Disgraceful practice.
The elderly have paid way more into the system than half of the younger ones, esp the "unemployed" who will no doubt expect 5* treatment despite not paying a penny into the system at all.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 31

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Thanks for those two links @Cleoriff Pretty disconcerting, but something everyone needs to know.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 31

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

The key is not to own a property and spend all your salary/pension each month. Anything else on top of that such as a disability is a bonus.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the information Cleoriff.

My mother in law has been in hospital for 3 months and was due to be coming home with a care package that we were told we had to arrange. Trying to sort out the care has been a minefield as it's difficult to know what she needs and help isn't exactly forthcoming. We managed to find a care agency but have no idea what happens next if her money runs out as she will still need care.
Message 5 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Disgraceful practice.
The elderly have paid way more into the system than half of the younger ones, esp the "unemployed" who will no doubt expect 5* treatment despite not paying a penny into the system at all.....

A subject very close to my heart Rich. When my Mum needed residential care she had to sell her house to pay for it.

Her and Dad  worked hard all their lives, scrimping and saving so they could leave something for the family.

(not that we wanted anything)  She was in a lovely care home. The guy in the room next door had never worked a day in his life. His care was paid for by the government.

Always seemed grossly unfair to me.........

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My mother in law has been in hospital for 3 months and was due to be coming home with a care package that we were told we had to arrange. Trying to sort out the care has been a minefield as it's difficult to know what she needs and help isn't exactly forthcoming. We managed to find a care agency but have no idea what happens next if her money runs out as she will still need care.

Tracey...I feel for you with this dilemma. This is why I get so annoyed. It shouldn't be you and your family that has to arrange this. The funding should be there and systems in place to allow you peace of mind.

Its a Catch 22 really. You need to know the system to get the best out of it. ....however ....then as a caring family you may end up providing much of the care yourselves if you show that your are always there...always willing to help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 31

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
My parents don't own anything anymore except an old car worth a few hundred quid.
Everything else is in mine and my sisters name - they even pay rent on their home to us......
Best of all it's all legal so the govt can't touch their non existent assets..... mwahahaha!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 31

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Growing old in England seems to be a crime now. Thanks very much to our over paid, over populated and I'm all right Jack successive  governments but I'll take my chances here in Thailand.

The NHS service used to be something you could shout about and be proud of wherever you were in the world. I feel so sorry for the dedicated, unselfish and caring doctors and nurses who do their best despite the never ending cutbacks and enforced cost cutting by local councils.

What is this country coming to?

Message 9 of 31

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If a care package is not in place then she cannot be discharged. Whoever assessed her need for a care package is responsible for specifying the level of care needed. I presume the assessment was carried out by local council social services.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 31