iOS 8.1 is now live to download.
Message 1 of 190
189 REPLIES 189

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Iphone 5 is not 4g capable on O2 so no need for a 4G setting at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 81 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes very good point Mi5

I remember losing the 3G toggle when I upgraded to a 4G type tariff as that then changed my carrier file to give me the 4G toggle.

Message 82 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just had a reply from @O2, whom I tweeted earlier about this and they've told me that "a carrier update won't change this".  From everything I've read, that's simply not true...the carrier determines this option being available. 

Why won't O2 let us decide if we want 3G on all the time?

I have to be honest, if I'd have know about this before buying an iOS8 iPhone 6 and getting a 4G O2 SIM, I'd have very, very seriously considered staying with iOS7 and my old iPhone 5.

Message 83 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
When this first cropped up when I upgraded to 4G on my 5s and the 3G toggle disappeared I spoke to O2 and Apple.

Apple have confirmed they add / take away facilities in the carrier file after speaking to the Network.
Message 84 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So, that sounds like it's gone for good...  Shocked

Does anybody know if it would re-appear, if I swapped my 4G SIM back to a 3G only SIM?  I'd happily loose 4G (I'm hardly ever in a 4G area) to get back some decent battery life.

Message 85 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the social media team from O2 are looking into this for us.

We know Apple have introduced the feature so it's upto o2 to allow it.

Your SIM card is 4G compliant and I assume your on a 4G tariff.

I'm not sure if you asked o2 to go on a 3G tariff that then you'd get the 3G toggle back as your carrier file has now been updated.
Message 86 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add if you turn off 4g via the toggle then your phone would latch onto the strongest signal ,and you would save some battery.

The reason why so many want this is because of fringe or no 3G connection to they can force the phone onto 2G to stabilise calls etc.
Message 87 of 190

GeorgeStark
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, exactly.

I always have the 4G option off, as I'm hardly ever in a 4G area.  However, I also want the option to have 2G only...I very rarely used 3G on my iPhone 5...until recently, my data allowance was 500Mb per month and I only ever reached it once (that tells you a bit about how often I need fast cellular data).

As it stands, it's 3G or nothing.  Apart from the rare times it does fallback to EDGE or GPRS, but it doesn't stay there for long.  Cry

Message 88 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay.

Your phone will auto search out for the best connection available.

Let's hope we hear positive news from the Social Media Team.
Message 89 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember when I was on vodafone with the iPhone 4s and the 3G toggle was removed. Vodafone sent me a signal box because the 3G in my area was weak and yet my iPhone was clinging on, but they did say that they were looking into bringing the toggle back and they did. So I'm hoping that O2 will do the same, I would like to be able to choose 2g when I'm home on wifi and don't need a fast mobile data connection and then can choose 3G/4G when I'm out (and seeing as O2 have just brought 4G to my area, that would be ideal.
As a side note, does anybody know how often O2 updates their coverage map? I suddenly get 4G in my area but the map hasn't updated which makes me think that it could just be a trial run, anyone know if O2 are still doing trials before rolling it out properly?
Message 90 of 190