Not applicable
For iPhone / iPad owners.

iOS 8.1 is now live to download.
Message 1 of 190
189 REPLIES 189

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

Isn't that the same as just turning mobile data off?
Message 141 of 190

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous

Isn't that the same as just turning mobile data off?

No, not exactly. All you're doing is turning the data off but the phone is still receiving the 3G frequency.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 142 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The Internet becomes mostly unusable yes but the phones calling stability sometimes is improved , especially for those who are affected by weak signal.
Message 143 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh ok I understand. When I was with O2, my 3G would always be off as i couldnt get a signal at home. So basically if I was still on O2 this would cause me a massive issue not being able to switch from 3G to 2G. Now with Voda I have a really good 3g signal.
Message 144 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear you have strong signal.

😄
Message 145 of 190

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This is the reason people in fringe areas are upset that the toggle switch has not been written into the carrier settings as yet.

Message 146 of 190

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's why I thought turning off mobile data would have the same effect. Poor signal in my home address is one of the main reasons I left O2, I had been with them for14 years until recently. I guess I understand now why it's should a big issue.
Message 147 of 190

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well indoors I get 1 bar on 3/4G and dropped calls all the time, for this reason I always had 3G off when at home with no dropped calls ever, also in the areas I work 3G is hopeless, so I only ever enabled it when in areas with decent 3G.

Now I have a 5 updated to 8.1 that now has the option back to toggle 2G,3G,4G even though its not 4G capable, and I also have a 6 updated to 8.1 where its 4G only made no difference with the update, I can swap sim's and they both stay the same, so for me it's an iPhone 5S and upwords issue, could it be the processor on the 5S, 6 etc.

O2 told me this morning I need to wait for the next update.

Message 148 of 190

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Steve3948 wrote:

so for me it's an iPhone 5S and upwords issue, 

Makes sense but not a logical decision by o2/Apple

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 149 of 190

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Plus, the handset constantly searching for a strong(er) 3G signal, causes massive battery drain.  If you're not in a 3G area, having 3G enabled would still cause the handset to fall back to either EDGE or GPRS, this part hasn't been removed or disabled - it's the option to force this yourself via the toggle, which has been removed.

Yes, most things are too slow to be viable when using 2G but quite a few things are perfectly workable...some apps which download only a small amount of data (i.e. Sky News or BBC, TeeVee, theTrainline, Words with Friends, HotUKDeals, etc.) and things like iMessage and WhatsApp, which work perfectly well on EDGE.

Personally, the trade off between getting data faster against not being able to control when I want 3G enabled and its resulting battery 'cost', just isn't worth it.

Message 150 of 190