Did you mean: 

Happy birthday Pong!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is the 44th anniversary of the release of Pong, one of the worlds first ever computer games and the furst to be commercially successful. Pong was a simple digital version of tennis which features 2 paddles controlled by the player to pass a ball across the screen. The aim of the game is to defeat the other player by causing them to miss the ball. Pong could be played against the computer or a second player and is widely considered to be the game that launched the video games industry by proving that the video games market can produce significant revenues. 

Pong was originally published by Atari on the 29th of November 1972 as an arcade machine and was followed up by a home version in 1974 following the success of the arcade game. Atari sold over 150,000 units of Pong but due to a number of copies and fakes the total number of Pong machines that were sold is far higher. 

I'm enjoyed the odd game of Pong over the years and I'm extremely grateful for the 100's of hours I've spent playing its successors! Did anyone play the original Pong or have the home version and is anyone still playing it now? Smiley Very Happy

Play Pong here!

Pong Icon.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

This, along with space invaders, was the first game I ever played on an old Atari console.

Space Invaders? Now that was one game I was good at....(in fact the only game I was good at...) LOL

Yes I was very good, none of the family could beat my scores in those days. Now I only ever play Solitaire on the Tab...

Message 11 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Space Invaders was great! So simple but such good fun. I used to play a lot of Snake on the old Nokia handsets. It would get to the point where the entire screen was filled with the snake! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 12 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 13 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie Not bad! I'm still having a bad time getting above 5 points slight_frown

signature

Message 14 of 14