cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had a suspicious phone call from 0800 952 4874

Anonymous
Not applicable

Caller with Yorkshire accent sounded like she was calling from a busy call centre - said she was from O2 calling up to find out how I was doing with my mobile service and telling me that she had some special offers for me. Asked if I was the account holder, but I cut her short and asked her "how do I know you are who you say you are?" after which she told me my name - so she knew something - and then she said something that got me suspicious: I thought she said something like "can you tell me your security question - then i can bring your details up on my screen". That didn't sound right so I challenged her again: "how do I know you are who you say you are" - and she said "I'm bringing your details up on my screen" - and put me on hold. It then went quiet for 10 seconds and then she cut back in with the background noise, but then cut out again - and during this second period of silence that I hung up.

20 seconds later I get a text message from O2 saying "Here is your code: 123456 Please enter this code in the site to continue  registering your O2 account. If you did not authorise this, please contact O2"

So I rang 202 and asked for the fraud and security number. However the number I was given is an 0844 number - does anyone here have a direct line number for them? Because I'm reluctant to call an 0844 number because those numbers are not in the calling plan and I'd have to pay for it.

In any case, has anyone else had strange calls from people claiming to be O2 from 0800 952 4874 ?

Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I saw a cracking video where a guy in Aussie kept them on the line for several hours, then told them he was an IT expert. 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 31 of 57

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Lol. Epic
Message 32 of 57

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Lol. Epic

It's painful but it's here if you want to listen to it: 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 33 of 57

Anonymous
Not applicable

had them call 3 times the last one i told them i have a issue with 02 its the nusense phone calls !!! 

i moaned but at the start of the call i did agree to my name so (she has my name and number) well

10mins later my email account was hacked and so was my facebook also ebay name passwords changed 

so now changing emails and passwords think this smells like car phone warehouse , so do not ever agree to anything even your name ? 

Message 34 of 57

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144200 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
No way they can hack you from a name and phone number. That's just fantasy !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 57

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I agree, totally impossible from that information, I would start checking out your security settings elsewhere.

Message 36 of 57

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hee hee! I can identify with that! No language barrier though. Just brain cells still catching up when I'm on an early shift!
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 37 of 57

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
How come when I wanted to comment on one of the post here, I clicked the 'Add Comment' button under the post I wanted to comment on, but my comment's ended up under a different post so it looks like it doesn't make sense!! Is it just the way my phone displays it?
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 38 of 57

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 39 of 57

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

When you reply to a particular comment, use the quote button ......

Like this @Peanut.... (you just have to remember to reply to/under that particular post.....if you want to quote that person)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 57