Did you mean: 

Glow in the dark roads

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27021291

"The paint contains a "photo-luminising" powder that charges up in the daytime and slowly releases a green glow at night, doing away with the need for streetlights."

_74225835_74224520.jpg

What are your thoughts guys? I really like the idea personally. Do you think it would help drivers significantly?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have to say (with my nursing head on) that I think these lines could cause major problems for some people

with sight problems. (Too many to mention) If there is anything that may cause disorientation, it is a risk!

Additionally people suffering with photosensitive epilepsy would be in danger of having it triggered with this

type of 'futuristic' lighting.....

Please do not make things even more difficult for people who maintain an independent lifestyle despite

having these problems

Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I quite like it, up here we already have lots of stretches of motorway and rural roads that are completely unlit and seems to work well.

It wouldn't replace lighting all together, they would still need it for bad weather or to help people see if there is an accident, but has the potential to save a few quid if the cost of the paint doesn't outweigh the cost of the lighting.
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby ,Seems all is not well with this trial. 😞

"Glow in the dark road markings have been "faded out" from a stretch of road in the Netherlands as they are sensitive to large amounts of moisture."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27187827
Message 13 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am quite pleased about that personally...due to my concerns about the effect it would have on people with

various eye problems, photophobia , and light sensive epilepsy...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I read somwere in the news that they weren't bright enough and faded away quick in some country they tired it out
Message 15 of 15