cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

My broadband contract has expired so now shopping around to get the best Fibre Broadband package.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have Sky broadband at the moment but heard their routers are not too good at Fibre speeds?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6971 Solutions

This was my last speed test shortly before coming to Thailand this time.Ive since had an email to tell me I've been 'supercharged'.....hope that doesn't mean it's a big bill waiting LOL

received_10153791991863420.jpeg

Message 11 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

No faff for us. We had it originally...then swapped to Virgin....which got progressively worse for us and needs of the family...so we went back to BT...obviously it was a bit of an upgrade but the initial installation was in place

When looking into it, we would need to either upgrade our aerial or get a new one in - not cheap (about £100 is the amount i've seen a few times).

Plus upfront costs for new kit (router, tv units, etc).

The biggest issue is losing everything we currently had recorded on TiVo/V+ boxes - there must be over 100 hours of programmes currently recorded!!  If this could have been transferred or saved then I might have considered it, but seeing as VM brought the package price down to about £4-5 more than BT it wouldn't have been worth all the additional effort.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I agree @gmarkj It has to be a decision to suit individual needs...We had Virgin well before the days of Tivo boxes. ...One of my sons is with Sky....and the other is with Virgin. We only live 8 miles apart so it definitely is down to personal choice....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

So after stating that VM were pretty good... their broadband service has been non-existant since Friday morning.

It apparently is a known issue, and one they are "working hard to fix" but can still somehow say it should be finished and working by 4pm today (Monday).

Still, in their favour they have credited our account with the price of the broadband since the problem started.

Just hope it is fixed by the time I get home...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 15

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I have a FTTC (what BT call Infinity) connection - 40MB down, 2MB up.  I can pay to upgrade those speeds too... I have mine with a non-package deal, so although I pay £33 a month, I have a fixed IP and business grade services.  Worth it, for us.

Headweb is the company I use.

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 15 of 15