cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Father's day: What's your favourite Dad memory?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Its Father's day on Sunday and we thought it would be lovely to ask everyone about their favourite dad/father  memories slight_smile

Mine is when my dad built my sister and I a massive wooden playhouse when we were little, An upstairs section, windows, kitchen area. The lot! 

How about you? What's your favourite memory with your dad?

maxresdefault.jpg

youtube.com

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

My dad was a bloke who grew up in a very rough area of the Midlands and had to let his fists do the talking to get by in life....and sometimes just to survive

Marriage and having a daughter changed him a hell of a lot.....he was a real old softy with me. My mum would say I could get him to do anything...Dance

So with that in mind my favourite memory of my dad was him saying every Birthday, Christmas and Fathers Day....dont buy me anything ...just a card will do.

It couldn't be any old card though...it had to be one with a beautiful verse telling him what a brilliant dad he was. The look on his face when he read these cards was one I will never forget. Still brings a tear to my eye heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
For me it's the realisation of the sacrifices my Father made for my the sake of my sisters and my upbringing.
Thankfully now, I am able to give back some of that and help him in his later years.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
For me it's the realisation of the sacrifices my Father made for my the sake of my sisters and my upbringing.
Thankfully now, I am able to give back some of that and help him in his later years.

Yes that as well Rich...a joint effort from Dad and Mum....Allowed me to go into nursing as a cadet earning virtually nothing and supporting me. Mum insisted I paid 'board and lodging' as I had 'to learn the value of money'....whilst Dad would slip me the odd fiver when her back was turned .... Between them they taught me a good few life skills...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

A couple of memories of my dad are .

He was a terrible cook 😞

Dad worked nights and mum days so dad used to cook tea for me and my bro

Tata Hash with raw potatoes was his favourite dish to cook slight_smile

Another memory is when i was older and he was off work he used to get home from the pub slightly drunk and used to gave me all his loose change then morning after couldnt understand why he had no change wink

Sadly he was taken away from me not long after he retired the big C .

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad worked 5 days a week plus 1/2 days Saturday & Sunday so's me, my mum & my sister had what we needed

The best time was on a Saturday afternoon, when BBC Saturday Grandstand sport was on the telly & I used to curl up with dad on the 3-seater settee & watch it with him slight_smile

Some touching posts above 

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So many memories, where do you even begin to start? 

Maybe getting up at 4am on school holidays, helping him to sort out the mail at the GPO and then out delivering in all weather's. He personally seemed to know everyone on his round and there were 2 or 3 regular stops for tea or a bacon buttie. 

One thing I will never forget is him rescuing a woman and two children from the bedroom of a burning house. This was in school time so i wasn't with him. Made most of the papers and I recollect him getting a bravery medal which alas I've never been able to find. I believe he gave it to my grandma but from there, who knows?

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Isn't it weird...when someone shares an experience about their dad...another one springs to mind. My dad was uneducated...he spent most of his time playing truant ...For all that he was the most intelligent man I knew.

Good at his job... working at Massey Ferguson for years and years. He also worked at many of the car manufacturing firms that Coventry was famous for....

He was determined that I wouldn't be 'uneducated' like him. His most famous saying which stuck with me to this day was 'Education is the finest thing in the world my girl...if you take everything from it, you wont go far wrong'. ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Some lovely memories here guys, thanks for posting slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
My dad died about 20 years ago and my saddest but favourite memory is when I told him I was going to marry my boyfriend, he was due to come and meet my dad the next weekend but he arrived in time to help deal with the clearing out of his clothes and accumulated junk. I remember telling my dad all about him, I did marry him and now 19 years later we have two wonderful kids and I hope that my dad in heaven can look down and see us all.
Message 10 of 13