EE aims to improve 4G and relocate customer services

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

EE aims to improve 4G and relocate customer services

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36116584

Mobile phone operator EE is aiming to bring 4G to 95% of the UK landmass by 2020 as well as relocating its customer services to the UK and Ireland.

In 2015, the firm was fined £1m ($1.4m) by communications watchdog Ofcom over customer service failings.

The network will also switch on high-speed 4G in the Shetland Islands and the Isles of Scilly this week.

Chief Executive Marc Allera told the BBC customers expected to be able to access the internet wherever they were.

Currently, 4G coverage is measured as a percentage of the population rather than geographically.

EE said it also aimed to bring all its customer services operations back to the UK and Ireland from overseas by the end of 2016.

"It's a big investment," said Marc Allera.

"People look at off-shoring as reducing costs but when you look at the added cost of unhappy customers... actually this isn't going to be an enormous incremental cost."

He declined to say whether customers would face price rises as a result but said that the competitiveness of the market would "ensure we focus on value for money".

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I read this earlier today. I was interested in this part.....

EE said it also aimed to bring all its customer services operations back to the UK and Ireland from overseas by the end of 2016.

"People look at off-shoring as reducing costs but when you look at the added cost of unhappy customers... actually this isn't going to be an enormous incremental cost."

Sounds noble....but is there more to it than that?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Their target of 2020 seems a long way off, seeing as how O2's target date is 2017. I would have thought that the networks would be beginning to roll out 5G by 2020.

Maybe their objective of bringing customer service back to the UK might push the others to do the same, although I have to say that Three's cs is outsourced and I've never had a problem with it, apart from the odd 'could you repeat that please?'

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I am joining them as they already give coverage in my locality.

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Makes perfect sense.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I am joining them as they already give coverage in my locality.

Coverage is everything.....

Message 6 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I read this earlier today. I was interested in this part.....

Sounds noble....but is there more to it than that?

Course there is. Outsourcing to places like India has been getting expensive over the last few years as once staff get some experience they move on to the next place for more money. Eventually you hit the problem of staff shortages and paying them more to sustain the service levels which on a fixed price contract suddenly becomes less profitable for the call centre company. The first thing that suffers is customer service as too little staff and too many calls to meet the now unachievable targets. The call centre then turns round to the company asking for more money at the contract review stage at which point the bean counters do their stuff. 

So they can bring it back to the UK (reverse offshoring I think its called) but this time, thanks to the explosion of social media, you don't need a big call centre now (oh hello o2 Smiley Indifferent ) so the number of jobs will be less than before yet from a PR perspective, its jobs in the UK. Don't be surprised if the call centre will be operated by Capita who seem to have the infrastructure in place....eventually offshoring to another low cost country to maximise profits whilst retaining localised management to satisfy the contract terms.

Now being even more cynical, as its a BT company (EE that is) who's intials mockingly defined as 'Bangalore Telecom' for its well known outsourcing stance, it would be interesting to see how much investment is made considering the debt taken on in purchasing EE. And apparently BT may also be losing Champions League football as UEFA weren't happy in the loss of viewers since the move. Oh well, price rises it is then. 

Message 7 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Now being even more cynical

I don't think that is possible ! LOL

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 9

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Read this today also, can only be a good thing. Wonder what improvement O2 will need to make to retain its customers.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 9