Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Cigs and the Immune System

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Many people gave up smoking and turned to e-cigarettes as a substitute. Since then it was evident that scientists would be looking for any problems associated with this alternative.

If honest I haven't been too concerned about any of the research to date.

This is different. The most recent data (in the US) hints at unexpected health effects unique to e-cig use.

After comparing genetic information swabbed from the noses of smokers, vapers, and non-users of both, researchers found that smoking suppresses the activity of 53 genes involved in the immune system. Vaping also suppressed those 53 immune genes—along with 305 others

The significance of that gene suppression is still an ongoing research project, though the initial results suggest that e-cig users may have compromised immune responses, making them potentially more vulnerable to infections and diseases.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/e-cigs-shut-down-hundreds-of-immune-system-genes-regular-cigs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I keep failing, day to day hassles always seem to end up with a packet and the empty promise of "I'll try from tomorrow"
Message 21 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I was a smoker for a very long time @viridis. Far be it for me to pontificate about anyone else's smoking. I quit because I had to, not because I wanted to. I used to love it, and if I'm really honest, I still miss it sometimes. If you want to quit, you will, but you have to do it on your terms. It's no good anyone berating or trying to chide you to do it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 22 of 42

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I was a smoker for a very long time @viridis. Far be it for me to pontificate about anyone else's smoking. I quit because I had to, not because I wanted to. I used to love it, and if I'm really honest, I still miss it sometimes. If you want to quit, you will, but you have to do it on your terms. It's no good anyone berating or trying to chide you to do it.

I'll vouch for that. My wife had a heart attack and we both gave up....3 years for me until I first went to Thailand and they were 30 a packet. I enjoy it but I know for sure I will give up when I move back there. My now wife hates smoking and I've promised to give up to keep her sweet.

Message 23 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thought I'd lighten the mood a little. Keith Richard obviously wont bother with e-cigs..LOL

keith richards.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 42

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
One person who has no right to still be breathing wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 42

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Apparently he was No 1 on the hit list of stars who 'would never reach 50' They dropped him from the list when he did....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 42

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Apparently he was No 1 on the hit list of stars who 'would never reach 50' They dropped him from the list when he did....

Bit of a shock, I didn't think he would reach 50 tbh but not due to smoking ordinary cigarettes. ...

Message 29 of 42

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Just goes to show that as long as you live a healthy life in all other aspects the odd ciggy won't hurt you Happy Dance

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 42