Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Cigs and the Immune System

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Many people gave up smoking and turned to e-cigarettes as a substitute. Since then it was evident that scientists would be looking for any problems associated with this alternative.

If honest I haven't been too concerned about any of the research to date.

This is different. The most recent data (in the US) hints at unexpected health effects unique to e-cig use.

After comparing genetic information swabbed from the noses of smokers, vapers, and non-users of both, researchers found that smoking suppresses the activity of 53 genes involved in the immune system. Vaping also suppressed those 53 immune genes—along with 305 others

The significance of that gene suppression is still an ongoing research project, though the initial results suggest that e-cig users may have compromised immune responses, making them potentially more vulnerable to infections and diseases.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/e-cigs-shut-down-hundreds-of-immune-system-genes-regular-cigs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not my experience at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am just putting the research here @MI5

Though not sure how you would know if you had experienced any gene suppression? Are you basing your comments on how much better you feel in general?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
E-cigarettes are controversial don't you think, with so much conflicting information out there. Rightly or wrongly, my employer makes no distinction between them and regular cigarettes, and has banned them from the workplace completely.
Message 4 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
E-cigarettes are controversial don't you think, with so much conflicting information out there. Rightly or wrongly, my employer makes no distinction between them and regular cigarettes, and has banned them from the workplace completely.

They are controversial @Anonymous Employers are right to ban them in the workplace (in my opinion).

Of course the additional research is looking at the gene-altering effects of different flavours of e-cigarettes on the cells in the delicate lining of the respiratory tract.. Apparently one of the worst is cinnamon ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Not my experience at all.

I think you might have to qualify that with a 'so far' @MI5. Obviously this is only one article, but the more research that is done, then the better informed you will be. If they published conclusive evidence that it was harmful, would you quit? Did you go from cigarettes to vaping?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 42

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Depends who funds the "research"....
Message 7 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Depends who funds the "research"....

More importantly, what results the researcher wants. I know only too well that some research results can be manipulated.

Medical research is different. After the first results, it has to be independently researched  again before it is accepted, published and accepted. If there are any differences in the research findings then it will be trialled again.

These are only 'initial research findings'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 42

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

How long did it take before it was 'accepted' that smoking badly impacted on your health, so much research and no one could agree for years.

Message 9 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

How long did it take before it was 'accepted' that smoking badly impacted on your health, so much research and no one could agree for years.

@jonsie My parents amoked all their lives. When they died the cause of death was nothing to do with any smoke related illness. Dad was 82 and Mum was 87....

Like I say...I have just presented the most recent research findings on e-cig problems. If you look ...smoking tobacco causes fewer gene suppressants (according to that paper I linked to)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 42