Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Cigs and the Immune System

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Many people gave up smoking and turned to e-cigarettes as a substitute. Since then it was evident that scientists would be looking for any problems associated with this alternative.

If honest I haven't been too concerned about any of the research to date.

This is different. The most recent data (in the US) hints at unexpected health effects unique to e-cig use.

After comparing genetic information swabbed from the noses of smokers, vapers, and non-users of both, researchers found that smoking suppresses the activity of 53 genes involved in the immune system. Vaping also suppressed those 53 immune genes—along with 305 others

The significance of that gene suppression is still an ongoing research project, though the initial results suggest that e-cig users may have compromised immune responses, making them potentially more vulnerable to infections and diseases.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/e-cigs-shut-down-hundreds-of-immune-system-genes-regular-cigs...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Just goes to show that as long as you live a healthy life in all other aspects the odd ciggy won't hurt you Happy Dance

True but he beat all the odds. Was drunk for 50% of the time and off his head on other things the other 50%...and smoked throughout. Used to have a cigarette clip on his guitar.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 42

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 32 of 42

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
I've heard he does a great packed lunch wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never smoked, so I can't appreciate how hard it is to conquer such an addiction. But when I look at how expensive it is for moderate, never mind heavy smokers, I think I'd see the financial benefits of giving up, before I even considered the health benefits.
Message 34 of 42

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. That's how hard it is to conquer. On the financial side, when I quit, cigarettes were around £5 per pack of 20. I had spent a small fortune over all the years I smoked, as I was smoking 40 a day.  Now the cost is nearly double. I've saved tens of thousands of pounds, and I'm still here. Had I carried on smoking I don't think I would be.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 35 of 42

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12064 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thought I'd lighten the mood a little. Keith Richard obviously wont bother with e-cigs..LOL

keith richards.jpg

One of my favorite lines in comedy is about Keith - Bill Hicks (also a famous smoker) said that the only things that would survive a nulceur holcaust would be cockroaches... and Keith Richards.

He also made a comparison between Jim Fixx and Keith, talking about the fact that Keith outlived Jim who (at the time) was famous for promoting a healthy lifestyle and running.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 36 of 42

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Well that's not great news, especially for folk with a compromised immune system already.

I've still got a ecig and I use it when somewhere that's not really appropriate to pop out for a ciggie. Like in a short while I'm off babysitting for our little nephew so obviously I'll not pop out to smoke.. I go in the kitchen or where he can't see me for a quick puff on my ecig.

Tbqh I'm seriously considering packing it all in, I've had enough and don't even particularly enjoy it anymore. It's expressive terrible for your health and pretty much completely anti-social these days.

Watch this space for a smoke free Charlie grin
Message 37 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Well that's not great news, especially for folk with a compromised immune system already.

I've still got a ecig and I use it when somewhere that's not really appropriate to pop out for a ciggie. Like in a short while I'm off babysitting for our little nephew so obviously I'll not pop out to smoke.. I go in the kitchen or where he can't see me for a quick puff on my ecig.

Tbqh I'm seriously considering packing it all in, I've had enough and don't even particularly enjoy it anymore. It's expressive terrible for your health and pretty much completely anti-social these days.

Watch this space for a smoke free Charlie grin

Isn't that last sentence a contradiction in terms @gindygoo Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 42

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Only just saw that 👀 @Cleoriff ...... I'm sure I've no idea what you could possibly mean 😇
Message 39 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Only just saw that 👀 @Cleoriff ...... I'm sure I've no idea what you could possibly mean 😇

Bit slow there @gindygoo. I expected a really quick come back....gif run.gif

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 42