Did you mean: 

Data Roaming Charges to remain?

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Bad news for travellers to the EU

European regulators have dropped plans to ban roaming charges and have proposed net neutrality rules allowing privileged access in some cases.

According to documents seen by the BBC, far from ending data roaming charges as was promised, the European Commission has recommended that operators be allowed to add surcharges to their domestic rates

Many of us thought that charges would be dropped or at least reduced from info we had in 2013...It looks as if that may be a long way off now...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31748592http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31748592

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Boooo
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Boooo

Booo indeed....annoying to say the very least. I lived in hope with this one... travelling as much as I do):smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If we didn't pay the high roaming charges networks would be recuperating the lost income by increasing the cost to consumers in the UK. It's disappointing to be honest as I spend half the year out of the UK and I use a foreign sim card combined with TuGo.

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Problem is.....it's one thing that they are remaining....completely different that they may be adding surcharges Evil

The proposals were said to be "transitional" and mindful of "wholesale costs" incurred by the mobile operators.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
The current proposals extend to 2018 and require operators to make small concessions.

Part of the reasoning behind this decision is that charges have been falling and the current wave of acquisitions in the EU telecoms sector shows no sign of abating.
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The current proposals extend to 2018 and require operators to make small concessions.

Part of the reasoning behind this decision is that charges have been falling and the current wave of acquisitions in the EU telecoms sector shows no sign of abating.

You may well be right Nick.....but if Three can 'abolish' their charges (with limits) it's such a pity others can't step up to the mark....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You may well be right Nick.....but if Three can 'abolish' their charges (with limits) it's such a pity others can't step up to the mark....:smileysad:

If the Three takeover of O2 gets approval and goes ahead, with any luck their 'Feel At Home' policy will also come along with the takeover and apply to all O2 customers as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I really hope so @Bambino  I know I get annoyed because I travel a lot...but this seems such a 'smack in the face' when we hoped for so much more...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12