Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service from Carphone Warehouse

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Has anyone had any problems with Carphone Warehouse?

I purchased a phone from them online and the order was missing when I called them so I went in to store and ordered it there. 

I changed my mind about the phone so I wanted a refund.

I was told that it would be ready to collect on Monday between about 10am and 12 noon.  As I work, I asked my mum to collect it.  My mum went about 11am and she was told that it was not in yet.  She told them that I wanted a refund but they said they couldn't do it until the phone had arrived.  She went to a few shops and returned later that day and she was told that it was not in yet. 

My mum went back the next day.  Although the phone had arrived, the sales assistant said there was not enough money in the til to refund me.  I paid cash.  I got a £150 phone for £60 due to an upgrade.  I also got a memory card with it - which I was told was free - but when I got home and looked at the receipt it said that I had infact paid for it - very misleading!

My mum went to that store a further 2 times and a different store once and on each occasion she was told that there was not enough money in the til.  It was only £70 I wanted refunding - it's not like it was a £300 refund.

I was very annoyed by this so I waited until I was off work and I called the store prior to attending the store - I was told that there was still no money in their til - I told them I wanted a refund as I had waited a week and I kept being told the same thing.  I said that I would go to the store later that day and I wanted a refund by cash or bank transfer.  When I got to the store there was apprently only just enough money in the til and the sales assistant refunded me.

I used to shop with Carphone Warehouse a lot but I hadn't shopped there for a few months.  I won't be shopping there again any time soon.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gemma.

I've not had those types of issues with CPW tbh. I would of asked for the refund to be placed on my debit card. Ok it takes a little longer but at least you're not running around.

As Businesses cash up on a night and bank the money they do only have a limited float, but still that can only be used once or twice unless that's the fact. Or if they have more than one till take the cash out of them all !

The issue I've had is them not willing to sell me a phone on Payg !
Message 2 of 37

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

They hjad 3 or 4 tils in the store so they could of refunded me and tallied up their til at the end of the night.

I was unhappy about the memory card - the sales assistant blatently lied to me.

They said they couldn't do the refund by a bank transfer or on my debit card as I had paid with cash.

I think that store is confusing.  They told me they had the phone in, they had it on pay monthly and PAYG.  It was £150 sim free or £150 on O2 and £75 on Virgin.  Before I knew about the upgrade, I asked for the O2 one and he said he had the phone but no sims from that batch.  I know many phones from them are 'sim free' at first as the boxes do not have networks on them and the sims are nearly always separate.  He had O2 sims in stock and phones in stock but he couldn't sell it to me. 

They'll be losing many customers if they carry on......

Message 3 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
My that's weird !

In all my purchases , the lumia 520 very recently from CPW I always ask is it unlocked and every reply has been along the lines yes they are unlocked and we just marry up a SIM card with it. I only know of the iPhones locking out to the first SIM card placed in it.

In all my years of retail experience the only issue I've known with refunds is someone after a cash refund when the original purchase was made on Credit or Debit Card which is a no no ref fraud etc.

It seems you were possibly met by an employee who needed sales of that phone on a specific network to make his tally for the period (maybe)

In my experience I knew the phone i wanted was in stock as I asked beforehand but as soon as they knew I wanted it on Payg the interest drained from his face and he said they couldn't sell me it even tho the point of sale said it was available on Payg.

Another store had simply scrubbed the Payg price out with a black marker pen.

Another told me the truth and said they only wanted to release that phone on contracts.
Message 4 of 37

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've never had issues with CPW [touch MDF] although I have never taken out any major contracts with them.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 37

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I knew the phone that I wanted when I went into the store.

It has happened in the past with them when I have asked about a phone and they have had them in on PAYG but because they had used all of the O2 sims that they had got to sell with their phones so they couldn't sell me it.

Message 6 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Running out of Payg SIM cards ?

I may just be being cynical here but !!!! wink

In the past I've chosen a Payg phone on the cheapest option Network , paid the usual top up fee, used it up and then just popped in my own SIM card.
Message 7 of 37

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Certainly a weird experience. I have dealt with CPW on a few occasions but not had the same problems. I'm always a little wary of using them and it's usually as a last resort.

Message 8 of 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have never dealt with CPW but all my family members have.....and never had a problem.

However, this sounds like a real run around  that you and your Mum were given Gemma...:smileysad:

Were you looking for a new phone to replace the iPhone that keeps shutting down....

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-5S-battery/m-p/716945/highlight/tr...

Or is your new one just for back up?....You certainly aren't having a lot of luck with phones recently slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had problems with them before when I tried returning something they wouldn't do it I had a big argument with the manager and eventually they did

I no longer shop there either I would pay more to go to a decent shop
Message 10 of 37