cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast - Any good?

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

I've seen this advertised on TV quite a bit and like the look of it. Has anyone got one that could give their opinion on?

I can connect my Z10 directly to my TV via HDMI cable anyway so not sure if I would immediately see the benefit of Chromecast unless I got an Android phone or Tablet. In saying that, I said the same thing about Apple TV before I saw it...and now think its a great idea for iDevice users!

So is it worth spending £30 on?

NB: Chromecast works with Android tablets and smartphones, iPhone and iPad devices, Chrome for Windows, Chrome for Mac and Chromebooks.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I am disappointed there have been no reponses to your query sir.  I was thinking about Chromecast myself and was anxious to get some user feedback.  Not being a techy person I am not even sure I need one - I have a Samsung Smart TV and can get the usual Freeview Channels, as well as displaying photos & videos wirelessly from my Galaxy S4.  What extra features would the Chromecast thingy provide?

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like you @Anonymous I am watching this with interest as I don't have a smart tv but it does have hdmi and usb connections.

Anyone got a Chromecast?
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous By the sounds of it you are able to do much of what ChromeCast can do already with your Smart TV. However I believe you would also get the following features:

* Browser mirroring from a PC or Mac (you could show on your TV what is in your browser)

* Portablity (You can take ChromeCast and plug it into a friends TV)

* BBC iPlayer, Netflix and Youtube (I'm going to assume however that your TV already has these!)

So...ummm...it looks like the main plus point for you would be the portability of the device! You could do what you do with your TV and phone with someone else's TV when you're away from home.

Would you pay £30 to be able to do that?

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @papadug. Are you well?

If I get this right, Chromecast effectively turns a non smart tv into a form of smart tv instead of using an hdmi cable between a laptop and the tv?

Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for that helpful clarification @Anonymous .  I can certainly think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend £30 on.      Smiley LOL

Gerry

Message 6 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A quick resurrection of this thread to say it is available this bank hol weekend from Currys at £18 if reserved or ordered on line (£20 in store otherwise).
It also seems like a good place to have a Chromecast chat room as there are 3 of us with them now that I know of - Anyone else got one?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oooooo thanks for the heads up! I might just get one at the weekend then, just because!

Thanks!

Message 9 of 23

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 23