Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Smoking ban 'To start in October'

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Apologies if you have heard this on the news but as it is health related I thought I would post it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30513439

Smoking in cars with children will be banned in England, under new laws put forward by the government.

Apparently MPS are to have a final vote on this. If passed it will come into force next October

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
How the authorities will 'police' this is what I wonder.

Struggling police forces.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an intersting topic @Cleoriff  - but I wonder if it has been thought through?   In the link you provided it says "A fine of £50 will be issued to people who smoke or who fail to prevent another person smoking." (presumably it means smoking in a car.) It is probably the BBC's usual incompetent editing, but if that is an accurate report then it would seem that a child under 18 who does not take steps to prevent his/her parents or anyone else from smoking in a car will be fined £50.  Taking the matter just a little bit further,  what actions would a person be allowed to take to prevent another person smoking?   What would happen for example if a driver lit up when speeding down a Motorway at 70mph?  How could anyone "prevent" that?

Message 3 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff ......as with using mobile phones, drinking, drugs, speeding and parking it will only affect those who get caught....i.e. the minority of drivers.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree @Anonymous .....it does look as if the child could/should report the smoker in the car. As you ask...how could they do that? If reporting is done at the end of the journey.... then the cigarette is smoked and no evidence available. I really hope they 'fine tune' this law if they decide to implement it.

@Beenherebefore  Certainly will be a case of those who are caught. I hope we don't see high speed police chases purely to catch someone with a cigarette on in the car.

I can say from experience that I have our granddaughters car seat in my car at all times. Unless you are higher than me you are unable to see if there is actually a child in the car seat though...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's an intersting topic @Cleoriff  - but I wonder if it has been thought through?   In the link you provided it says "A fine of £50 will be issued to people who smoke or who fail to prevent another person smoking." (presumably it means smoking in a car.) It is probably the BBC's usual incompetent editing, but if that is an accurate report then it would seem that a child under 18 who does not take steps to prevent his/her parents or anyone else from smoking in a car will be fined £50.  Taking the matter just a little bit further,  what actions would a person be allowed to take to prevent another person smoking?   What would happen for example if a driver lit up when speeding down a Motorway at 70mph?  How could anyone "prevent" that?

Valid points Gerry. 

The Reps at my work are forbidden to smoke in company vehicles which they do. And what about the situation of e cigs ?

Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All smoking in vehicles and esp by the driver should be banned.
How can you be in full control of a vehicle whilst fumbling around to light up and then driving one handed whilst smoking.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reasonable point @MI5 but with self steering cars soon to start appearing on our roads that objection begins to fade a little.
I heartily support a ban on smoking , full stop.
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5, I agree with your post above, without question 

WispaRed7 Cat do what makes you happy

Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That also begs the questions about changing radio stations, inserting a cd, eating, unwrapping a sweet or picking your nose.....

Message 10 of 14