Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Before Dates

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Has anyone had any issues with 'best before dates' in stores?

I recently purchased a packet of biscuits.  When I got home I tried one and it didn't taste 100% right.  When I looked at the packaging I noticed that it went out of date 3 weeks ago.  When I returned it to the store with my receipt, they said that they were allowed to sell items up to 4 weeks out of date - is this correct?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Theirs two types.

Best before means you can still
Consume after that date but it may not be at its prime.

Use by date means it has to be used on or before that date or you could have an upset tummy or worse.

Supermarkets usually ensure their stock is rotated so issue does not occur or sell them off discounted.

Message 2 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I thought stores could only sell items that are maybe 2 or 3 days out of date maximum.

Have you ever heard of it being 4 weeks BOB?

Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Their are places in the Leeds Markets that sell certain dry food items (biscuits, cereal etc) many months out of date, but the point of sale has to state the fact and typically these items are reduced in price.
Message 4 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hmmmmm these were not reduced nor were they marked as being out of date, but I guess it was my own fault for not checking 😞

Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always check tbh but the shop is either not rotating their stock and not noticed or have tried to get away with it.

The item really should have been re priced / reduced to show its current condition.

Sometimes you see supermarkets put items separate in reduced shelves.
Message 6 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

When I took it back into the store today they refused to refund me or replace it because they said they are allowed to sell items 4 weeks after their best before date.  When I said I wanted to complain to head office and asked for the number, they wrote down a mobile number.  When I called the number the woman told me word for work what the woman in the shop said.  But I am very wary because I have looked online and their head office, nor any stores head office number that I have heard of, is a mobile number.

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look at the links.

You can verify with the agencies around food hygiene.

I wouldn't call a mobile number as it could be anyone. Even as most likely here a persons in the same shop.

Use registered e mail contact so you have a paper trail.

Tbh tho it depends on how Much time you want to spend on this.
Message 9 of 19

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

It's not a big issue I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this 4 week rule before.....

Message 10 of 19