Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back by no popular demand, it's PNOTD

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
That's right its time for pointless news of the day.
Today's pointless news (or for today, stupid news) comes from the Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung where city chiefs have announced a new plan to tackle Dengue fever. Dengue fever causes Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles. In a small proportion of cases the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleeding, low levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage, or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs.<wikipedia> basically not good.
It is spread mainly by mosquitos and there is still no vaccine.
So how does the Kaohsiung City Government tackle the serious threat facing city residents?
Nets?
Repellents?
Electronic insect killers?

Nope, instead it offers the city residents cash rewards to go near as many as possible and kill or catch them.
That's right. Go close to the bug which spreads an untreatable virus and try to catch it.

http://khd.kcg.gov.tw/Main.aspx?sn=401&mt=14&gs=14472

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29850539
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If I hadn't read it here...I would not have believed it!!

Are you sure this isn't a hidden ploy by the government? Is this City over populated?

Are they looking to reduce population?

The only other thing i can think of is this. If they have enough people catching Dengue fever...they may be able to develop a vaccine to prevent it...eventually...:smileywink:

Edit: of course your first link needed translation...hence the second link LOLI suppose....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for sharing. 😉
Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Most excellent LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's very relevant here, believe me! A friend contacted this disease only 3 months ago and sad to say he died from it. The symptoms and effect on the body can be horrendous. Better hygiene and pest control by the local officials should be the way to go though.

Message 5 of 5