cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's EE or O2 Takeover - Good idea or not?

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This article's author isn't too enthused about the idea. I tend to agree.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-12-16/if-british-telecom-buys-o2-or-ee-omg?cmpid=yhoo

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:
The green cabinet is relatively close to my house. Probably no more than 50 yards, so why have I always been told that my max speed from BT or Sky would only be 38MB?

Probably because your area doesn't have BT Infinity2 so your max is up to 40Mb rather than up to 76Mb

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 26

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Bambino wrote:
The green cabinet is relatively close to my house. Probably no more than 50 yards, so why have I always been told that my max speed from BT or Sky would only be 38MB?

Probably because your area doesn't have BT Infinity2 so your max is up to 40Mb rather than up to 76Mb

I can get Infinity2. When I called BT to tell them I was planning to switch they offered it to try to convince me to stay.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 22 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:
I can get Infinity2. When I called BT to tell them I was planning to switch they offered it to try to convince me to stay.

But at the moment you only have the basic Infinity so limited to up to 40Mb......not really sure where we're going with this.

To get up to 76Mb, you have to pay more and your download speed would probably be 65Mbps to 70Mbps

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 23 of 26

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

But at the moment you only have the basic Infinity so limited to up to 40Mb......not really sure where we're going with this.

To get up to 76Mb, you have to pay more and your download speed would probably be 65Mbps to 70Mbps

I'm not sure where we're going either. I know it would cost more for 76MB speed, but up until I told BT I was going to leave, they, and Sky had always said my maximum speed for my area was 40MB. As soon as I said I was leaving they began offering me faster speeds. All in all, the package I'm getting from Virgin is less than the combination of a Sky and BT package.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 24 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Bambino wrote:

All in all, the package I'm getting from Virgin is less than the combination of a Sky and BT package.

Lets hope it stays that way Lou. That was the one reason we changed from Virgin and went back to BT. Their charges were increased constantly without notification. Bills got higher and higher. I took them on and did get a refund but was so furious at the underhand tactics I went back to BT. At the time Virgin could not cope well with all the computers and two X Boxes we had here

This was about 8 years ago so I am sure improvements have been made....but as we have said, it is all down to personal choice and what works best for you....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been a BT landline customer for more years than I care to recall, and also have had  Broadband service from them for at least 15 years.    Taking everything into consideration I have very few complaints. Sure, like any big company nowadays they do have the occasional wobble,  and their online CS is based on O2's mushroom farming model - keep them in the dark and throw a load of manure (pronounced sh+ a perprendicular vowel and a final t).  But I remain quite happy to stay with them and have not seen any better service in this area.   My main worry is that O2 would prove to be a millstone round BT's neck.

Message 26 of 26