cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT making a bid to take over 02

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,  new customer here,  I have experienced terrible problems with BT customer service,  if 02 is taken over by them I will cease to have ANYTHING to do with 02.  BT is atrocious.

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 11 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cellnet were the first Network I ever signed up with. In them days texts didn't even exist. 😄

Message 12 of 64

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Just read it on the BBC. It is ironic that BT sold it off  to consolidate and now want to buy it back again! I agree with the OP, at some point BT will push through changes that will ensure CS is outsourced or overshored which inevitably means a mass customer exit. Its in their nature to do as BT have been prominent in offshoring and especially as the term "shareholder value" will be thrown about 2 years after integration has kicked in, it is their only option.

Then again, if the current consensus of moving call centres back to the UK works out better then they may keep it within the outsourced UK call centres. However the likes of Capita are going to be squeezed even more to keep their contract going. 

Lets see what OFCOM will say as BT bought an interesting slice of the 4G spectrum in the last auction and I don't think the other networks are going to let it go through without some sort of compromise on BT's side. 

On a side note, it looks like part of BT's master plan to be a sole provider of data/media/phone which was only to be expected once they acheived their aim of getting TV over broadband. With Vodafone now owning a large network via their purchase of Cable & Wireless, we're seeing another consolidation within the networks. EE needs to come up with something else they'll be a minority player and as for 3, they could end up being a niche operator with a decreasing user base as people migrate to better all inclusive offers as it makes more sense to have one bill than several. With the ability to port numbers/broadband its not going to be a highly complex task to port the entire service of to another provider (blue sky thinking, they've not exactly proved its a smooth task to do it now!).

Not yet mentioned but TalkTalk recently dropped Vodafone for o2 for mobile services. That's spanning "multi-years" and if BT buy's o2 then its going to be interesting given TalkTalk is BT's main competitor!

Message 13 of 64

jonsie
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It was inevitable that Telefonica would  sell off O2 to consolidate their finances, always happens when the parent  company is in trouble. Hopefully the customer, us, won't be adversely  affected.  If  indeed the buyer turns out to be BT  I for one would welcome it . I worked for O2 when they were Cellnet and also through the change to O2. The difference between the two companies was a world apart. ..BT will want to be competitive   and I can see only benefits for the customer base and their employees.

Message 14 of 64

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

T'was only a matter of time given Telefonicas debts.

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 15 of 64

jonsie
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 16 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
For clarity BT are in early preliminary talks with Telefonica which may or may not lead to an offer.

The BBC are also reporting that BT have been approached by another network looking to sell. It is believed that the owners of EE have approached BT.
Message 17 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the clarification Piperdog123
Message 18 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable

EE would make more sense, there network is in better shape compared to the tin cans & old bits of string O2 are currently muddling along with.

BT wont want to spend any OR as little money as possible upgrading network equipment, BT would die of boredom waiting for Telefonica to upgrade there network if that was part of the handover deal to purchase.

Message 19 of 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed @Forkingabout. EE would be a much better proposition given that

1. It is the market leader
2. Its network is ahead of the rest esp 4g
3. BT already have an MVNO in place with EE
4. O2 have only recently agreed to provide an MVNO with TalkTalk
5. By owning EE BT likely to have to cede some of its 4g airwaves but EE have plenty already.
Message 20 of 64