Did you mean: 

Apple sued over WiFi Assist

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yet again another lawsuit has been filed against Apple

This time it is in relation to the WiFi Assist feature. This is where the mobile automatically switches to mobile data when Wifi signal is poor or non existent. The complainants filing the lawsuit said Apple had not properly explained the potential consequences of Wi-Fi Assist....and some users were complaining of high bills

The problem appears to be that Wifi Assist is set to on as default whereas Samsungs similar feature Smart Network switch is set to off as default

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34639742

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Karma,
Message 2 of 21

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Not surprising, I can see iOS 9.2 or 9.1.1 changing the default to off. A quick fix to the issue (though not for those already billed).
Message 3 of 21

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok so the issue is in the press again.

From what I understand on how it works from the apple help thread here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205296 the mobile data signal needs to be stronger/ faster than the wifi adsl signal.

As we know o2 3g etc is congested so how often will that happen and for us rural customers it will be almost zero as per my signature.

I also think that as usual in this litigious society we see these things blown out of proportion.

But agree it should be off as default

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@adamtemp64 Yes...in the press again tongue

I am not getting into an Apple fight with you LOL.....

I am sure when they release an update it will probably be set as off. Apple did 'decline to comment' ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 21

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
I think for some who have slower data connections than Wi-Fi indeed the risk is low, but the phone will continue to check this (and how much data is it using with each speed check to see if it should drop the Wi-Fi connection?)

My 4G connection is almost always faster than my home broadband (I can only get 0-2MB officially, so consider myself lucky I actually get 6mb).
Message 6 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Most people who buy smart phones (probably 95% or maybe even higher) don't really know how to use them to their full extent. This is not a criticism. We most likely were all at that stage at some point. The problem, as far as I can see it, is that when someone buys an iPhone, WiFi Assist is probably not explained, and after the first month of use, the user is faced with an unexpectedly higher bill than they thought they were going to receive. If Apple chose to set this service as on by default, and the user is unaware of this, the lawsuit is entirely justified.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
For most people, it's a non issue, but in a lot of cases where they don't have bt infinity at 70mb they are stuck at 17mb to 35mb, most home users have no need for faster connections. But then they buy an iphone, and are in a 4G area.....
First bill comes in at £500.
Who's at fault?
The user for not disabling a feature they don't even know about, or Apple for yet again having a setting turned on by default that will eat data.?
Message 8 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And for all pay monthly o2 customers a non issue as o2 do not let you go over your data allowance they cut you off http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/kana/traffic_management.pdf

Yes you will run out of data but no cost

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yeah for O2,
But O2 customers are a small drip in apples ocean of networks without caps.
Do iphones have a data limiter like android?
Message 10 of 21