Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple: How uncaring!

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Last year a young lad from my home town was stabbed to death on his way home from a party.

His killers were found and jailed.

Morgan Hehir was a young talented musician...who stored his work on his MacBook.

His family are desperate to gain access to this and other treasured photos and memories of their dead son.

Apple are refusing to give his grieving family the password to unlock the device...Even after his father sent documents to show his son was deceased. Apple have stated they have to get a court order and even then they may refuse to hand over the password...

Personally I find this whole attitude sickening. A total disregard for the grief of this family ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grieving-dad-says-apple-wont-8515157#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Hold on, what if there is things on that laptop that would cause the parents further distress. Perhaps he was into drugs etc...

Bit I totally agree apple should be helping. If not on a moral footing, a legal one. Once someone dies there data is no longer considered protected under dpa.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

They may find things they would rather not know about ...thats a risk they are obviously willing to take.

Before computers that was still the case when someone died and you had to go through their belongings.

When I was nursing we sadly lost a patient...and then found out after he died, he had two wives at opposite ends of the country.

All these poor parents want is access to his unpublished music and his photo's.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sickening is the right word for this disgraceful attitude from 'Big Brother' Apple

Only apple I buy is for eating eg a Granny Smiths'

How would I feel if it were my lad, he's 31

DEVASTATED

Apple are wrong no doubt of it

@Curr946 Are you playing Devils Advocate?

I could cry for the lad & family

we have a missing Skipton lad 

body never found in the York floods, probably way down the River Ouse now, I contributed to the fundraising for the York River Rescue Authorities

thinking of the lad & his family

may they get what they need

SHAME ON YOU APPLE

Message 13 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I do hope that apple will see the light and help this poor family out.

But a thought for you all as it was highlighted when I was on the parish council what would anybody do if the person in control of a system dies and there are passwords involved . Official advise given to us was to ensure that a copy of the relevant systems passwords were written down and sealed in a envelope that envelope to be given to the chairman for use if needed.

I have always since this given a copy of my iPhone password to my mother for use in any eventuality and now have added my windows 10 4 digit code to my PC.

I know this will not help the family concerned but a thought for you all.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I can understand that @adamtemp64 but the lad was 20. When you are that age you have no thought of dying.. I do take your point however....particularly if I should ever be tempted to buy an Apple product. That's pretty unlikely though....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The poor lad has died. What the hell are people thinking taking the moral high ground and backing Apple's stance on this. OK there may be stuff on there that any lad would probably not want his parents to see. We have all been 20 years old. However they are parents, what right have Apple to keep his music and photos from them? Are Apple just going to keep all this data on their servers? Does it come under the official secrets act same as here and released after 30 years. Beggars belief that the iPhone people are backing Apple but there again I expect nothing less.

Message 16 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie have to agree as an apple user the high ground from some I hate.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I just hope to god that they never find themselves in the same situation as I'm sure they would have a different viewpoint. When you are 20 you are invincible and dying is inconceivable. Oh, hang on a minute,  I need to put all my id and passwords in an envelope and pay a £100 to give instructions to a solicitor...where's the Yellow Pages? That thought would never cross the mind of any 20 year old .

Message 18 of 22

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sickening is the right word for this disgraceful attitude from 'Big Brother' Apple

Only apple I buy is for eating eg a Granny Smiths'

How would I feel if it were my lad, he's 31

DEVASTATED

Apple are wrong no doubt of it

@Curr946 Are you playing Devils Advocate?

I could cry for the lad & family

we have a missing Skipton lad 

body never found in the York floods, probably way down the River Ouse now, I contributed to the fundraising for the York River Rescue Authorities

thinking of the lad & his family

may they get what they need

SHAME ON YOU APPLE

absolutely! Don't agree with this one bit

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 19 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
devil's advocate
noun

1. a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments.
    "the interviewer will need to play devil's advocate, to put the other side's case forward

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 22